Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2014 06:00

M3800 operating system installed on hdd instead of msata on laptop from Outlet - WHY?!

Hello

I have just received the M3800 and I am very surprised seeing the os installed on hdd instead of msata. Is this how it should be? I do not think so.

How can I move the OS to msata?

Thanks

9 Posts

Well, this particular model is configured with 500GB HDD and 256GB MSATA, so there is plenty space to fit the os. I just can't understand why the OS image was written on HDD instead of MSATA as default?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If it's a 32G mSATA drive designed as a cache, it's too small for an OS - you'll need a larger mSATA drive to use for OS purposes.  120 G bare minimum - 240 G is more likely to be useable as your main OS disc.

16 Posts

June 14th, 2014 12:00

In http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19532474/20645091.aspx#20645091 you write "Yes, I do understand that there is a 32gb flash drive along with 500gb hdd, but please note that my setup also consist of a 256GB msata drive."

I'm pretty sure that there is only 2 disks, not 3 as you write. Or do you mean a USB stick when you say "32gb flash drive"?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 14th, 2014 12:00

Check your system specifications - I don't even see a hard drive listed in any of the configurations (at the moment in the US anyway).  They're all SSDs.

9 Posts

June 15th, 2014 07:00

Sorry, I made a mistake when I described the HDD, I should have checked the detailed specification of the HDD before I posted previous messages.Below is an extract from Dell's post test message.

[ Storage ] Hard Drive 0 OEM: ATA, product: ST500LM000-1EJ162, revision: DEM7, type: SATA, size: 500 GB,

(this is the hdd that includes 8GB ssd for quick access {not 16 or 32GB which is what I wrote earlier, sorry for the confusion})

Hard Drive 1 OEM: ATA, product: LITEONIT LMT-256M6M mSATA 256GB, revision: DM8110F, type: SSD, size: 256 GB,

(this is the MSATA drive)

[ Boot ] BootPath = MBR of Hard Drive 0 BootPath = MBR of Hard Drive 1

As you can see, there are two drives in my laptop, HDD (with 8GB ssd along with 500GB in the same casing) and MSATA (256GB). For some reason, during production the OS was installed on HDD. What I would like to do now is to move or reinstall the OS onto the MSATA drive. I thought that doing a full recovery would help me, as usually during the Windows installation one can choose where Windows is to be installed. I copied the recovery partition to an external usb drive and did a recovery, however, during the process, there was no option to choose where I would like the OS to be installed, so it was simply reinstalled on the C drive, which is HDD.

Is there any way to manipulate BIOS to disable or bypass HDD so that the only active drive would be the MSATA? I did go to BIOS but I could not see any option. By doing this I would be able to install Windows on MSATA and enable HDD later for file storage.

In the meantime I consulted another user on the forum and he suggested to contact Dell and ask for clean install disks. However, I would like to put this machine to work ASAP and I am thinking about trying to open the case, unplugging HDD, doing full recovery from USB stick onto MSATA, and the replugging the HDD.

9 Posts

June 15th, 2014 07:00

OK, I give up, a T5 torx is needed to open the laptop and the smallest I have is T6. I better go out and enjoy whatever left of the weekend.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2015 07:00

Hi Kream, 

how do you solved the problem finally?! 
Have the same situation here, OS on the 2,5" 500 GB disc and not on the msata and want change it. Can draw the way you took finally?!

Thanks in advance!

9 Posts

July 23rd, 2015 08:00

Hi Friggen2000

Sorry to hear about your problem. I can't believe it's been a year already! If I remember correctly, I decided to order and wait for the proper installation disk from Dell, which in my case was a usb memory stick. Hope you will get yours sorted soon, good luck!

No Events found!