Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 4th, 2017 07:00

M4400 with Quadro FX 770M DisplayPort to HDMI: No audio

Ive read the wikis and I cannot get audio to get thru the DisplayPort to HDMI.

Can someone please tell me, for example, their driver versions and that way I can compare and see if those work?

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 4th, 2017 09:00

Ive read the wikis

Hello. Did you see our HDMI Audio FAQ? If not, scroll down to the Precision M4400 entry and see if the instructions from PAS-Chris do any good.

74 Posts

May 4th, 2017 11:00

Yes, I already read it.

No, it did not solve the problem.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 4th, 2017 12:00

I don't know how your system works, but in the FAQ to which Jim was referring, was anything mentioned available to you?

On HDMI systems, you will see a playback device shown as a TV or monitor.  Are you seeing any such thing in your playback devices?

Are you using a converter of Display Port to HDMI and if you are, what type/version is it?  I know Nvidia will load it own Audio Drivers, so I assume you are seeing those..?

74 Posts

May 5th, 2017 00:00

I tried the FAQ but it does not work. Sounds still comes thru the laptop's spears.

No, I am not seeing anything related to a TV and/or monitor on the PC. It seems it does not detect there is a TV hooked up.

Yes, I am using a DisplayPort to HDMI converter. I used this cable on another laptop around here and it works without updating anything so I know the cable is fine. I first updated nVidia's drivers to the latest. That did not work so I am now using Dell's which doesnt work either.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 5th, 2017 16:00

I went out and got a cable which is mini-Display to HDMI.  Using my XPS 2720 I plugged it into a Samsung monitor with speakers..  You can see the playback dialog below and it used the Intel Display Audio which should show in Device Manger.

The sound works fine so not sure you your system is different and requires special steps or the audio output is not being directed to the correct device.  Make sure you have enabled show disconnected and disabled devices.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 7th, 2017 07:00

No, I am not seeing anything related to a TV and/or monitor on the PC. It seems it does not detect there is a TV hooked up.

Did you try the tips in "Post Connection Problems"?

> right click and check show disabled/disconnected devices.

> right click on "Speakers" in the list of devices and click on Properties. Click the "Advanced tab" and uncheck both options under "Exclusive Mode".

> Try a different HDMI port on the TV.  If the TV has a "DVI/HDMI" port do not use it. Use a port for HDMI only.

Check the tv's settings?

I looked again at PAS-Chris instructions. I'm thinking maybe he had Windows XP. What is your operating system? XP, Vista, 7, and Linux Redhat 5.1 are the supported OSes.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 7th, 2017 07:00

Intel Display Audio which should show in Device Manger

I wouldn't expect Intel Display Audio to be in the Device Manager of a Precision M4400. When HDMI audio came out, in models with Intel graphics integrated on the motherboard, it appeared in the Device Manager as "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus". Later, during the time when Intel came out with the "i" processors, the Intel graphics was integrated into the cpu, and that's when it appeared as "Intel Display Audio". To the best of my knowledge, the M4400 did not have either an "i" chip or Intel integrated graphics.

not sure you your system is different and requires special steps

That's why I laid out the FAQ the way I did. I analyzed every post about laptop HDMI audio, and there were hundreds of them, and wrote out the set of instructions at the top based on the few things the different models had in common. Then I wrote the longer "specific models" section, because there was so very much variation, depending on the laptop model, the operating system, the brand and model pf graphics, etc.

Back then, HDMI audio seemed to be very poorly implemented. There are a lot of older models in the FAQ, and few newer models, because over time the implementation got better, and most of the issues weren't there anymore, on the newer models.

74 Posts

May 7th, 2017 16:00

Yup, both disabled and disconnected devices are shown, just in case.

This is running Windows 7.

74 Posts

May 15th, 2017 06:00

I need to get this to work.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 15th, 2017 11:00

I don't have any new ideas. Can you provide any more information, such as

Model of the TV and adapter

What other steps you have tried, such as

Did you  right click on "Speakers" in the list of devices and click on Properties. Click the "Advanced tab" and uncheck both options under "Exclusive Mode"?

Did you try a different HDMI port on the TV.  (If the TV has a "DVI/HDMI" port do not use it. Use a port for HDMI only.)

Did you check the tv's settings and make sure it is setup to receive HDMI audio?

You might also consider including screen shots with your posts.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 15th, 2017 13:00

This attachment showed just as  thought it would.  Basically, the video driver for the monitor needs audio output capability.

If the DP cable is capable and the monitor is capable and set up correctly, it should show an audio output device.

I do remember some TVs needing to use a special PC input which had been configured for a PC. 

As was mentioned, pictures may help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 15th, 2017 14:00

This attachment

Is that screen shot is from a Precision M4400 laptop? It looks like what I would expect to see on a desktop computer.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 15th, 2017 15:00

Is that screen shot is from a Precision M4400 laptop? It looks like what I would expect to see on a desktop computer.

It is a desktop computer, but they should look the same.  The video device would seem to make the difference.  If a monitor with sound is being used and it does not show on the audio output panel, it is not seeing the device.

Maybe some pictures would help me get a better idea of the problem.

I remember back in the day if you wanted sound from a DVI connection on an Nvidia card, you could take sound from the motherboard and run a cable to plug into the Nvidia card.  But this way quite a few years ago, maybe when the GTX 480s were popular. and no HDMI or DP outputs. 

If a system has a DP output, it should be capable, although I think I read some of the early versions did not support sound.

No Events found!