Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2011 10:00

M4600 - Unable to use multiple monitors.

OK, take #2...hopefully the forum isn't hungry for posts anymore.

Recently, my district purchased 3 Precision M4600 laptops to replace three multi-monitor workstations.  We used three monitors on these workstations due to the amount of remote access sessions we generally had going.  The laptops were chosen because of this line on the dell website: 

AMD Eyefinity technology supports up to three simultaneous displays when undocked and five total displays when docked.

Now then, I've tried multiple configurations with the laptops and the E-port plus docking station and have had the same results.  While the laptops will see multiple displays, I can only use the laptop's display and one other.  I have tried using the DVI out ports on the docking station, also using the digital-video out (the smaller ports below the DVI ports, using active adapters), I've tried mixing in the VGA port with the DVI ports, I've also tried the ports on the laptop only...but my result is always the same.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to what to do.  I really need these laptops to be able to drive 3 monitors...is this actually possible?  And if it is, what do I need to buy/tweak/pray over to make it work?

Thanks for your time.

SH

1 Message

September 6th, 2012 03:00

Arch3, did you have any success with the active adapter?  I am trying to drive two external monitors and the laptop screen simultaneously without success on ATI

2 Posts

September 21st, 2012 01:00

Hello,

I really need to drive 4 external monitors. I bought 2 active display dongles (that work) and e-port plus dock. Now, I can only drive 3 displays (2 display port and 1 VGA). I was expecting to be able to drive another 2 displays using the DVI ports of the dock.

Any suggestions how to connect 4 (of the advertised 5) displays?

Thanks, 

M.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2012 06:00

The Dell want's me to buy a display port and even that display port that they advised about active display port, it still doesn't work so I'm tired of wasting my time and money.

What I did, I bought a two real Active Display Port and two Dynadock  U3.0 at officedepot because it's cheap even though we spend much to meet the certain requirements that we need multiple monitor which we're expecting from M4600 but didn't meet.

Note: When buying an Active Display Port, make sure you read the comments or feedback from the customer because sometimes it says it's in active but it's a passive. Passive won't work and also some Active Display port has defect so make sure you can return it so it's better to buy it in-store.

I have 4 identical monitor running while my Laptop is on docking station.

To cut the story short:

2 Active Display Port (make sure that it has a USB cable for power source)

2 Dynadock U3 PA3927U-1PRP

optional 

1 VGA for the fifth monitor

Hope this help. This is just based in my experience.

Arch3

2 Posts

September 21st, 2012 06:00

Ok, I've just had an hour long discussion with TechSupport here in Poland, and now I'm running a quad display config.

1 FHD dell connected using Active Display adapter (dock)

1 FHD dell connected using DVI output  (dock)

1 1600x1200 dell connected to VGA  (dock)

1 1600x1200 dell connected to DisplayPort on the laptop.

However, this does not satisfy me because of cable clutter. I will be trying this

www.deluxecable.de/.../displayport-splitter

or

www.trinetusa.com/.../R06-SPL-102-DVI.pdf

or a similar solution to connect all 4 displays to 2 DP ports of the dock, and the 5th screen to the VGA output.

I hope this will work.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2012 07:00

This is the Dynadock that I'm talking about: 

Dynadock PA3778U-1PRP Port Replicator http://bit.ly/RIllqx

When setting it up, you need to connect the Dynadock to USB port into your docking station or laptop. The suggestion you have seems to be doable. I may try that sometime.

Thanks,

Arch3

1 Message

October 12th, 2012 11:00

My end user can get 2 external monitors and his laptop display to work. the issue is when the display times out and goes to the ctrl/alt/delete screen to unlock the pc. Then it will give him this error: DISPLAY DRIVER RECOVERS FROM AN ERROR..

I have the latest video and bios drivers on the m4600.

This does not happen when he is docked and only uses 2 external monitors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2013 14:00

try this.

uninstall all the graphics devices.  both intel hd graphics 3000 and nvidia quadro 1000m.

reboot and go into bios

disable optimus save settings and reboot

boot up and then install the latest driver from dell for the nvida graphics

www.dell.com/.../precision-m4600

then reboot

then you should be able to use 4 monitors on a docking station.

2 dvi, 1 vga, and lcd from laptop.

-M

August 20th, 2013 04:00

I was able to solve this problem consistently. I work for a very large company (Global Even) and this is one of the most common requests. In the BIOS there is a option to turn on Optimus (While your in there turn on Hyperthreading)  After activating optimus and letting it do the installs after reboot.  (Note this can take some time) Then reboot again. After it comes back up have the EU (End User) log in. Go to the display properties and see if the monitors show, Go to the grayed out one and click on it and go to the option to extend to monitor. click ok and apply.

This works just about everytime. Only times it really doesnt is with very old docking stations and thats the docking station not the computer

Hope it helps

1 Message

October 23rd, 2014 13:00

THIS IS THE ANSWER!!!!

(to the problem of being able to connect 3 monitors using the E-Plus docking station and then all of a sudden not being able to)

Steps:

1.  Restart your computer

2.  Press F12 key to go into the BIOS (sure, sounds scary but this is easy for non tech people like me)

3.  Arrow down to Video and Expand (click the + sign)

4.  Put a check mark in the NVidia Optimus.

5.  Click Exit.

6.  Wait.

No Events found!