Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2017 07:00

M4700 Sound stopped working

Hi, 

The sound card on my M4700 stopped working yesterday for no apparent reason and the trouble shooter couldn't identify the problem. I have uninstalled the drivers and tried to install the latest drivers but I keep getting an error message saying the drivers are unsigned and windows won't install them. 

I am running Window 7 64 bit service pack 1

I have run the diagnostics and installed all the latest drivers from Dell including the latest BIOS. 

There doesn't seem to be any reason for it other than the drivers are unsigned. There are no hardware errors that I can find, the problem is with the drivers. Any ideas?

3 Posts

August 12th, 2017 09:00

Hi jimco, thanks for your reply.

It's not the hardware that's at fault. I disabled driver signature and all is well now. Sound card works fine, drivers loaded and all is good.

Driver signature is a pain so maybe best to do without it. In my case I have to since Windows has lost the ability to recognise signed drivers.

9.4K Posts

August 11th, 2017 08:00

Hi ClivePhoto, 

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful: http://dell.to/2vtCfpm

3 Posts

August 11th, 2017 12:00

Thanks but I've been down the road of reloading all the drivers from BIOS to video. Trouble is the audio drivers appear to be unsigned or have a bad signature so windows won't install them

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 11th, 2017 19:00

Trouble is the audio drivers appear to be unsigned or have a bad signature so windows won't install them

Windows has its own native audio driver, so if the Dell-supplied IDT driver won't install you should still have audio. Look in Device Manager under Sound Controllers. If you see IDT High Definition Audio Codec then an IDT driver is installed. If you see High Definition Audio Device then the native driver is installed.

If one of those drivers is installed but still no audio, could be hardware failure. If not even the native driver will install, that too is a symptom of hardware failure.

No Events found!