Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2013 13:00

M4700 "Unable to detect biometric fingerprint sensor unit."

Hi all,

I installed the Dell ControlVault Driver  and upgraded the firmware on Windows 7 64, but the fingerprint reader device still missing.

The broadcom fingerprint management application (FMA) says: "Unable to detect biometric fingerprint sensor unit."

In Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Biometric Devices says: "Windows did not find any biometric devices on this computer."

I have checked the BIOS looking for options to enable the device, but there wasn't any.

Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

6 Posts

March 27th, 2014 19:00

I would suggest you all to buy anything else other than dell.

23 Posts

January 30th, 2014 15:00

I have this exact same problem on Windows 8.1 on this machine.  I have replaced the motherboard, the reader itself, etc with no luck.  I have spent more than 20+ hours on this issue with support and it is not resolved.

23 Posts

January 31st, 2014 12:00

Without the ControlVault driver, it shows a Broadcom USH device with a splat.  Then if I run the DDP like you talked about, it installs the device as a w/o Finger Print Sensor and the device is no longer splatted.  I am not sure that it is software related.  I have had everything replaced except for the USH.  I did not realize that it was something not rolled into the motherboard.  You reminded me of the manual...RTF...and found that the USH was a separate module.  They have not replaced this at this point to my knowledge.  I will bring this up with support now and see what happens.

Thanks for reminding me to think...

Ryan

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 31st, 2014 12:00

Actually I found the source of the problem. Someone stupid forgot to connect the smart card reader and fingerprint sensor back to the main-board. With the help from the Owner's Manual I put the wires back, after that a new Sensor device appeared on Windows and now it works as it have to.

So the control vault is a totally different device, then the fingerprint sensor. In order to use it, you should see both the vault and the sensor on the Device Manager list.

@RSHULTZ In your case I think the problem is software related. I installed the Dell Data Protection on Windows 7 which is an all in one package including drivers, control vault etc. But for Windows 8.1 I did not see this in the downloads page. Weird. Maybe you can use the one issued for Windows 8.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 31st, 2014 13:00

No problem. Good luck with it!

No Events found!