Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2014 22:00

M4800 Audio crackle when sound plays (if no sound has been played for a while)

I've got a new DELL Precision M4800 running Windows 7.

There is a distinct crackle/pop noise that occurs when sound plays (if no sound has been played for a while.)

If the laptop is playing audio currently it seems fine, but if the laptop is quiet for a while and then something like a email notification comes in, the crackle/pop noise happens like the driver/speaker is trying to wake up.

The problem happens with the laptop docked, and undocked.

--Edit

The solution for me was provided by pknb below. 

Open Dell Audio in Control Panel. Go to advanced, energy management. Disable the option to turn off audio devices.

I did not have the Dell Audio driver installed - and it appears that perhaps the default setting is that the the speakers get put to 'sleep' as part of a power saving mode. Looking at my description above I even referenced at the time the issue seemed to be that the speaker was slow in 'waking' up. In any event after changing this setting this problem seems to now be resolved.

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 23:00

Open Dell Audio in Control Panel. Go to advanced, energy management. Disable the option to turn off audio devices.

6 Posts

February 4th, 2015 19:00

>Open Dell Audio in Control Panel

I also don't have that option.

My Dell support page has the following Audio driver: Realtek ALC3226 HD Audio Codec Driver so I'll update to that version and see if that helps.

What you suggest does indeed sound (puntensional) like it could be the issue as if the device is waking up from being asleep that would explain the crackle. I typically use my laptop plugged in - so definitely don't need it going to sleep.

--

Edit: So after installing the driver and doing a reboot I can now see the Dell Audio icon in control panel.

On the advanced Tab is the 'power management' option. I've switched it from 'always' to 'battery only' - and fingers crossed the problem will be solved. thanks for the tip.

--

Edit: 1 week later I think the problem has gone!! Fantastic and thanks for the help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 15th, 2014 06:00

Pretty much all of the solutions we know about for noise are in the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ, but there is nothing pertaining to a late model Precision. The only thing I can offer is the standard advice: update BIOS, re-install the Realtek audio driver, try the Windows native audio driver.

If nothing helps, I would think about doing a system recovery to get it back to exactly the configuration as when it left the factory and test for the noise. If still there then I would contact tech support and tell them to resolve this issue before the return period expires.

1 Message

October 17th, 2014 08:00

I have this issue as well. Not sure what the deal is. 

**Update, it looks like even though I installed the Win7 Realtek audio driver, the unit was still using the Microsoft Audio driver. I forced the driver to install and it seems to have fixed the issue. BUT I have seen issue with the Realtek driver not playing nice with the docking stations. 

November 26th, 2014 08:00

Same thing for my brand new M4800 running on Windows 7 64 bits.

January 28th, 2015 10:00

Has anyone got this sorted, as I have this problem as well.

January 29th, 2015 06:00

This was a problem when the computer was new. Now, a couple of months later, the crackling has disappeared...

No idea why.

Only change is I updated MS Internet Explorer, but I believe the noise dissapeared before that.

January 29th, 2015 06:00

Actually, just noticed it is still there. I have apparently gotten so used to it that it didn't bother me anymore. Now I find it anoying again...

6 Posts

February 1st, 2015 20:00

I can confirm that the problem still exists on my machine too.

It gives me a bit of a twitch when it happens, but I'm having to tolerate it as there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it. Certainly a disappointment on what is otherwise a very good machine.

February 4th, 2015 07:00

I do not have Dell Audio in control panel, I have Touch pad that's it.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2015 09:00

I do not have Dell Audio in control panel, I have Touch pad that's it.

I think Dell Audio is part of Dell's Realtek HD Audio Codec Driver. Maybe you neeed to install it.

January 29th, 2016 10:00

Hello,

In my case this issue is related to Power Supply. I left my Power Supply at work and since I was running out of battery, I plugged in the spare one that I had for lower model. So you can test it by just disconnecting Power Supply.

Regards,

Hooman

No Events found!