Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2013 02:00

M4800 Precision - Fan noise without substantial load

Hello reader/support,

I'm a proud user of an M4800, but the constant fan noise bothers me a lot. I ordered it wit win7 but almost directly switched to win 8.1.

What I already discovered:  In the event viewer I experienced a lot of MSI error events (every 11 seconds) .

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceOperationEvent WITHIN 10 WHERE (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_ExternalEthernetPort') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_VmLANEndpoint') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_SyntheticEthernetPort') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_ComputerSystem') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_VLANEndpointSettingData')" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/virtualization" because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

If I stop the Intel(R) PROSet Monitoring Service these events stop, but I wonder if the performance of network devices is not affected negatively:

The Intel(R) PROSet Monitoring Service actively monitors changes to the system and updates affected network devices to keep them running in optimal condition.  Stopping this service may negatively affect the performance of the network devices on the system.

Nevertheless after this action CPU usage has dropped, but still too much fan noise while the system does nothing ;o(

I contacted support and they adviced me to reinstall with win7, but that is no option for me for the moment.

My power options are set to 'Quiet (Reduced Fan Levels)'

In the BIOS vA03 I could not find an option to  lower settings there. and all latest drivers are downloaded and installed.

All tips, advice very welcome.

7 Posts

May 16th, 2014 09:00

A07 solved for me as well (despite it was not stated in the release notes AFAIK), still if a want to be a real fault-finder, I can say that it's a little bit noisy when it starts. But OK, it's far-far better now. (But other manufacturers can produce so much quieter laptops!)

1 Message

May 16th, 2014 09:00

I also had the same problem with permanent and noisy fan activity. Now the A07 BIOS has solved the issue and the laptop is at last usable.

7 Posts

May 17th, 2014 01:00

But still, I have to say, there are some traces of the previous buggy behavior remaining, i.e. sometimes I still experience louder noise from the fans, and when I switch power scheme, it lowers considerably. So IMHO it's not totally solved, but now tuned finer.

7 Posts

June 4th, 2014 20:00

It seems to me that the fan problem appears again after resuming from Standby.

1 Message

October 8th, 2014 05:00

Hello,

I have a m4800 as well and I was experiencing the same problem. I upgraded my Bios to A09 and the CPU drivers and it seems to be ok now. 

1 Message

December 14th, 2014 12:00

Hi all, I also have the issue of fan noise with my Dell M4800 with Windows 7. I got this new laptop only in September 2014. When reported to DELL support, at first Support engineer asked me to upgrade to BIOS after running diagnostics which I did and BIOS version is A08  now. When that didn't fix the issue, they replaced CPU fan and Video fan. That didn't fix the issue so contacted them again and then they replaced the mother board this time even though I was not happy with this approach. Problem still continues even after replacing the mother board and I have reported this to DELL support and asked for a replacement. They haven't confirmed it and waiting for decision.  I am disappointed that DELL made so much of replacements on a brand new computer without investigating the root cause of the issue. This is the costliest laptop I bought and I feel let down by DELL support.

1 Message

October 20th, 2015 13:00

I have A13 BIOS and the issue is not resolved. Is the issue resolved for anyone with A13 BIOS?

Also, my battery says plugged in not charging. Not sure if this is related? My BIOS was just recently updated and I noticed the battery issue after the BIOS update.

8 Posts

October 21st, 2015 03:00

Hi Upekesha,

It's interesting to see this thread is still alive, I started this thread 2 years ago ;o)

I'm now on Windows 10 with Bios 14 and it finally runs quietly enough. I had mixed experiences with previous OS and Bios versions.

What I surely can advise is to check if the fans are running caused by high(er) CPU processing percentage. Currently I disabled the Windows Update Service and this did the trick for me. In fact this service slightly consumed all my 16 GB of ram too!

Be aware off course that you must enable the Windows Update Service to recieve crucial updates. In my case the Windows Update Service bloating was caused by an Office 2013 and Office 2016 installation, but other issues are reported with the Windows Update Service:

http://www.wintips.org/how-to-fix-svchost-exe-netsvcs-memory-leak-or-high-cpu-usage-problems/

Do NOT click on the advertisements in the link above! ;o)

Best regards,

Soeyken

5 Posts

October 30th, 2015 14:00

Hey,

I have been facing the same issue myself and followed many guides but none of them worked. The one that finally worked for me is this one. I would suggest you to give it a try.

Svchost.exe netsvcs Issue SOLVED

Svchost.exe netsvcs

5 Posts

October 30th, 2015 14:00

Hey,

I have been facing the same issue myself and followed many guides but none of them worked. The one that finally worked for me is this one. I would suggest you to give it a try.

http://www.gadgetsupersite.com/svchost-exe-netsvcs-fixed/

Hey,

3 Posts

February 7th, 2016 07:00

Same here.  

I'm running Windows 10, the fans never shut down.  I can boot the computer in a cold room after the computer is off all night and within 2 minutes the fans are running and generating considerable noise. 

My computer is a dual boot configuration.  When I boot under Ubuntu 15.x there is no fan noise whatsoever. Unfortunately I need to run windows mode mostly.

1 Message

May 12th, 2016 01:00

I've been having a lot of trouble with my M4800 often making really loud fan noises despite not even being close to running hot. Windows Update, launching an emulator inside a vitrual machine, etc would inevitably cause excessive noise. I've been trying several things including updating the BIOS, all to no avail. But today I changed a setting that actually made the fans stay silent in a situation that would ALWAYS trigger them before, so I'm hopeful. The change I made was that I set the "Maxiumum processor state" under "Processor power management", in Power Options, Advanced settings to 99% instead of 100%. At least on my machine, that instantly fixed my problem.

October 29th, 2016 07:00

I have been facing the same issue but all is OK now. 

No Events found!