RE: M4800 and Optimus?

Jump to solution

As much as it pains me but this might cause me to switch from Dell to Lenovo with the T540p...

And that after beeing a happy Dell Laptop user for 16 years and 4 or 5 Laptop generations......

I always prefered the international professional service that Dell offered. I still prefer things

like the keyboard (no chicklet!)  and the mouse pad with seperate keys.

Sigh....

immb
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just talked with dell about this and pointed out that the information in this article is wrong (http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&doc...

We are canceling our orders and need to think what we are going to do. They told me that there are no plans to fix this on the m4800 but they might...

We are going to look at alternatives. The issue I see with the T540p is one fan... Not sure what to do at this point. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I just talked with dell about this and pointed out that the information in this article is wrong (http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&doc...

How did they react?

We are canceling our orders and need to think what we are going to do. They told me that there are no plans to fix this on the m4800 but they might...

How? If the current theories are correct it is a hardware defect, so they would have to do a hardware revision. A M4801 so to speak.

We are going to look at alternatives. The issue I see with the T540p is one fan... Not sure what to do at this point. 

Hmmm.... I didn't think about the single fan yet. I didn't like the mouse pad and keyboard.
But there don't seem to be many alternatives if you want a high res. display (and not a Mac).
1080 lines is simply not enough for serious work.

0 Kudos
immb
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well as you probably know these guys on the phone are not exactly R&D engineers because at first he mentioned to look into if there will be a BIOS update...:-)

I pointed out that this is a hardware problem and not a software issue. He went to check and came back with the "they might fix it" answer.

The only way to fix this is new main board. How do i know? Because we ran into the same issue. I work in R&D. We use Comexpress modules in our products interfacing with Xilinx FGPA's (my work => video/image processing). Unlike the Sandy bridge there is no LVDS anymore on Haswell (you can download the intel manual for the 4900 procesor, 2 volumes) so they had to add a display port to lvds converter to drive lvds panels. If you do that there is no eDP anymore. So you end up only with LVDS. The way we solve this is have the eDP connected to an FPGA and process the video inside and have 2 outputs => LVDS and DP. That way one can use both panels. Of course a cheaper way would be having a connector in front of the DP/lvds convertor but due to signal integrity hard to do.

The only option to stay with Dell and having both GPU's and optimus is going to the 1920x1080 panel which is as you said not enough for serious work... or look outside dell. I do not do CAD but a lot of digital simulation and need to look at a lot of waveforms hence the need for a HDPI display.

Out of idea's for the moment...

Jump to solution

Well as you probably know these guys on the phone are not exactly R&D engineers because at first he mentioned to look into if there will be a BIOS update...:-)

I pointed out that this is a hardware problem and not a software issue. He went to check and came back with the "they might fix it" answer.

The only way to fix this is new main board. How do i know? Because we ran into the same issue. I work in R&D. We use Comexpress modules in our products interfacing with Xilinx FGPA's (my work => video/image processing). Unlike the Sandy bridge there is no LVDS anymore on Haswell (you can download the intel manual for the 4900 procesor, 2 volumes) so they had to add a display port to lvds converter to drive lvds panels. If you do that there is no eDP anymore. So you end up only with LVDS. The way we solve this is have the eDP connected to an FPGA and process the video inside and have 2 outputs => LVDS and DP. That way one can use both panels. Of course a cheaper way would be having a connector in front of the DP/lvds convertor but due to signal integrity hard to do.

I wonder how Lenovo did it on the T540p or Dell on the M3800, both have Optimus with HighRes Displays and you can get both also with Low Res Displays... If Dell was able to implement it on the M3800, why not on the M4800?

Did they REALLY make such a grave mistake? Or is it a conscious design decision?

They must have been aware that they would aggravate a lot of people.

Or does the necessary hardware exist like in the M3800 and T540p but is just disabled in the firmware?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
changt34x
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the great information. I hope our returns and order cancellations make Dell think again for their M4900, if that will ever exist.

One thing I just want to point out is the T540p is not a competitor to the M4800. The T440p/T540p compare to the E6440/E6540; the W540 compares to the M4800. Don't even get me started on how much better the Tx40p are better than the E6x40 series.

For those worried about the single fan on the W540/T540p, I would suggest looking at older reviews for similar models like the W530. It is very capable of cooling the entire system without throttling. It just may be louder than the M4800's dual fan, but there is TPFanControl to solve that.

When I returned my system the agent asked me what I was going to do, and I said wait for the W540. He took note of it. I hope this makes them listen up.

0 Kudos
slalomstyle
1 Copper

Jump to solution

We had out M4800 now for over a month, and after an initial hick-up with one of our applications working after as simple as turning of this Aero Theme we have only had good results. Very stable good machine. Some apps are still  having problems with the QHD+ but that's not Dells problem. OK, if you are dependent on your battery - point taken, but else I cannot see this (aka no Optimus support) as being a show stopper as it gives us enough battery time for the business we need to do and else we are on power anyhow, ... and isn't the max pixels of the W540 just 2880x1620 ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

We had out M4800 now for over a month, and after an initial hick-up with one of our applications working after as simple as turning of this Aero Theme we have only had good results. Very stable good machine.

How does the M4800 heat up?

Is it possible to have the laptop on your lap (while beeing on a train for example) for extended periods of time? (>2h) or will it burn limbs and/or overheat due to blocked vents?

0 Kudos
alexhawker
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The vents are on the rear rather than the base, so using the machine in your lap shouldn't block too much airflow.

I haven't had the chance yet to do any CPU intensive computing sessions with it on my lap, but I haven't found that it gets uncomfortably hot under normal use.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The vents are on the rear rather than the base, so using the machine in your lap shouldn't block too much airflow.

I haven't had the chance yet to do any CPU intensive computing sessions with it on my lap, but I haven't found that it gets uncomfortably hot under normal use.

Cool ;-)

This is a problem with my trusty old Latitude D830.

If you have it on your lap, chances are almost 100% that you will block ventilation with your left leg.

0 Kudos