Loyalblue
1 Copper

M5030 Black Screen Blinking Cursor

Hello,

I have a dell M5030.  When I power it up I see the dell logo with F2/F12 options. I can get into both of those, after that screen disappears it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner.  I have tried various "fixes" that i can find online, from powering it down hitting f12 to try and boot from hard drive, nothing seems to work.  I have ran the diagnostics fully and no errors come up, but I can not seem to get it to do anything.  F8 does not work for me to try to go to safe mode.  I am at my last nerve with this and am out of ideas/options Please help!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: M5030 Black Screen Blinking Cursor

Hi Loyalblue,

Please run the custom test on hard drive to check the hard drive is working as designed. Please follow the steps below.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer

As the computer boots, press <F12> when the Dell Screen appears

When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Boot to Utility Partition option, first system will run the PSA hardware diagnostics and then it will give you a message to continue or exit, please click on exit and then select test system and custom test.

Press the <Tab> key to highlight Test System Press <Enter> to continue to 32-bit Diagnostics.

Run the custom test on hard drive and check if there is any error listed. You can also refer the link below to run the diagnostics.

http://dell.to/mLUUiF

Also send me the system service tag in a private chat. Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

Please do reply for further assistance.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
Loyalblue
1 Copper

Ok when I start up I have to use a separate keyboard to be able to get into F12 for some reason it wont work on the laptop.  The boot sequence you said to choose is not listed, I have Boot from Hard Drive, CD/DVD, Diagnostics, and setup.

So i Go to diagnostics, and run that first error I get and I assume its because i'm using a separate keyboard is

Error Code 0411

Msg: Error Code 2000-0411

Msg: Cable - Keyboard not detected

The Computer then keeps going though its Pre-Boot assessment  and everything passes

Then I get "Do you want to run the remaining memory tests?

I do that and everything is fine

Then it goes to Booting Diagnostic Utility Partition

Then I get

Test Memory

Test System

Exit

So I do Test System

only "error" that came up was No mouse detected

0 Kudos

Hi Loyalblue,

The Error Code 2000-0411 indicates keyboard not detected, please try reseating the keyboard using the manual from the link below.

http://bit.ly/QGQJvw

Also you can reseat the hard drive. Hard drive is a Field replacement unit but if you’re comfortable please reseat it using the manual.

In case after doing the above steps if still the problem persists, you may have to reinstall the operating system and could lead to data loss.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos