Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2010 14:00

M6400 W7 OS upgrade to Windows 2008 Server R2

Hello.

My system is a DELL M6400 Covet Windows 7, x64, Extreme CPU Q9300, 4GB ram. I'm an IT Profesional consultant that has gone over to to this Desktop replacement laptop from a desktop stationary.

I need to run/test server systems (Citrix, Biztalk, SQL Cluster) and also development tools (VS, JAVA) clients as virtual guests.
In my opinion, W7 is to much of a play ground for me, and I know by experience that Windows server is a much better OS in terms of utilizing RAM, CPU, disk and virtual technology. In addition I'd rather use a Windows server version as vmware host instead than W7.

So my plan is to order more memory, an extra HDD for RAID 0 configuration, maybe eSATA, extra battery and choose another OS. 

Question 1
Since Vista 64 corresponds to Windows 2008 Server as Windows 7 correspond to Windows 2008 R2 Server in terms of system, build, drivers etc. I figured that most of the drivers for windows 7 x64 should work for W2008 R2 x64. Right? Does anyone/DELL know what won't work in the server version for this my laptop?
What about Bluetooth, DELL Webcam, Wireless, DELL control Point, DELL touch pad, eSATA, Audio, etc.

or is RedHat a better OS alternative here instead of Windows server?

Question 2 - OS
Should I use VMware Server or Microsoft Virtual Server or Hyper-V or Linux RedHat enterprise? Which has the overall best performance, uses less energy, is able to similate Cluster virtual environment (virtual SANs) best, use the intel virtual machine best? Remember I'm looking to have at least five servers running i VM.

Question 3 - Memory
In terms of memory.. does it really matter if I purchase 2x4GB 1333Mhz DDD3 instead of the standard 1066Mhz. The BIOS is the latest (A10). Will these two work with the original 2x2GB 1066Mhz? Will that it be a RAM perfomance increase or is it to risky.

Question 4- W2008 lisens
Does anybody know if Microsoft has some kind of OS lisens upgrade from workstation (W7) to server  (w2008 server)?

Question 5- eSATA
Has anyone tried using eSATA disks as boot partitions, and the HDD as storage?

Thank you for your respons.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 13th, 2010 16:00

Only you can answer the linux question - in general, yes, linux is more efficient with hardware than Windows, though.  The one place where you likely won't find working drivers is the bluetooth - very few people would have a need for it under Server, and many have reported not being able to use it.

Again, the answer to your second question depends on the work you're doing.

1066 MHz is as fast as RAM will run - only the newer i7 systems will run at a full 1333 MHz.

There is no "upgrade" eligibility from desktop Windows to Server.

I don't think the system can boot from ESata - at least I've not seen the option in the BIOS.

1 Message

January 7th, 2011 17:00

It's very detailed, Thanks for the posting.
No Events found!