Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2016 13:00

M6400 Will Not Boot

My M6400 suddenly will not boot.  It gets into the dual-boot menu where I have XP and Win7.  I try to boot from either and the initial splash screen comes up on each but then goes to a blank screen (black).  I ran the diagnostics and it said that HD1 was bad.  I tried booting off a Win7 DVD but its a generic Win7 disk and not one from Dell.  It will not boot either, I think it needs some special drivers.  Question is, how can I create a Win7 DVD that will boot this machine?  I thought I had done a recovery disk but cannot find it.  Thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you've received a 2000-0142, 0141, 0151, etc. error, the hard drive is toast.  What happens if you boot the system with the faulty drive removed?

It is always possible the DVD or DVD drive is bad as well, but remove the component you know to be faulty first.

8 Posts

No, I have not replaced the HD yet.  I was hoping to try to repair first since I can see the dual boot and both OS's splash screens come up when they are started but then hang. 

When I try to use the DVD it gets through "Windows is loading files ..." and then the progress bar with "Microsoft Corporation" under it starts for a second or two and then the screen goes blank.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Have you replaced the faulty drive?

What happens when you try booting the DVD?

8 Posts

July 14th, 2016 14:00

Yes, I got error code 2000-0142 but the fact I can get part way into the startup screens of both OSs makes me think the drive is not total toast yet.  The other issue is that I need to order a drive and also figure out how to get the old HD1 out, its not as easy as the secondary drive was to put in.  I need to study the hardware manual a bit tonight. I doubt the DVD is bad as it loads the whole OS off the drive before it hangs.  All other diagnostics passed except the HD1. 

8 Posts

July 18th, 2016 10:00

After getting the primary HD out (which is a bit tricky) the unit would boot to the OS on the CD.  I have ordered a new HD.  Frustrating because it took me forever to get both XP and Win7 on the old drive to dual boot and now have to completely redo the time consuming installation process.  Made a system back up but that was about 8 weeks ago and I just tried using the Windows restore on another computer that was still working but wanted to replace the HD before it failed and found that Windows system image just is horribly faulty.  Thanks for your help.

No Events found!