Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2016 16:00

M6600 Will Not post, Giving no ram installed error when I have proper ram installed and have tried 8 diff sticks, even changed out mobo

So like the title says I am having problems with my m6600 laptop telling me there is no ram installed even when there is. I even have the compatible ram purchased new from dell in it with no post. I have replaced the motherboard as well and I get the same issue. Dell's useless customer service chat has wasted about 15 hrs of my time without answering a single question. I just get transferred until they tell me they can't help because of the out of service warranty yet dell's stupid site tells me I am eligible for chat after putting my service tag in. Dell has proven to be the worst customer service ever just like everyone on the internet says. Who gives a *** if my warranty is out I just need my queswtion answered so I can fix this piece of<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> myself. I don't want to talk to some indian *** on the phone who can't even understand me well enough to help, " Hello this is Hamid, I am very sorry for your frustrations" Like come on dell you cheap <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>. You sell an inferior product that usually always breaks after the warranty goes out then hire non english speaking d bags to not help your loyal customers? I have been buying alienware for years and always have to fix the turds myself since dell is too incompetent to build things that dont break nor do they fix the issues when items are under warranty. That being said someone tell me why my m6600 keeps telling me I have no ram and fails to post even after using the correct voltage and speed ram from dell themselves and I've changed the mobo out and the problem still exists. According to dell if it was my gfx card or cpu causing no post then the error code would be different

May 20th, 2016 13:00

So after replacing the motherboard twice and then finally replacing the cpu, it boots up and is alive again. So it was the cpu the entire time despite dells dumb diagnostic lights telling me otherwise. Lesson of the day, don't buy dell and don't trust their diag lights to tell you what's wrong.

17 Posts

April 26th, 2016 00:00

what MB do you have? is dual core/quad core? what year was build? what CPU is currently in it? i5/i7? this will all help you so please answer. I have a 6500 and it needs tlc. so lets figure it out. did you change original MB because of this same exact problem? or other reason? did you keep old MB? let me know.

April 26th, 2016 16:00

I have the dual core i7 and the ram chips are installed on bottom of laptop. Yeah I tried everything I could and bought a second motherboard of the same model as there is only one model mobo for this unit. Problem is still there. Its from 2012. I get the error lights for no ram installed. To verify I pulled the gfx card and it gives a different error code for that and pulled the cpu and got a no cpu detected, so to me that said that it wasn't one of those components causing a failure to boot. Those two get there own error code if they have failed. I appreciate any help you can give me =) thanks for responding

April 26th, 2016 16:00

I still have both mobos

17 Posts

April 26th, 2016 21:00

sorry about that, i downloaded manual and the m6600 can use 16gb ram for dual core. the ram is in correct slots. try unplugging power adapter, then hold down pwr button for apprx 45 sec. then let go. what happens? then turn off, turn back on normal, what happens? also, try to hold fn and i believe F7, what happens? when you say wont post, is screen black/ blank even though machine ses to start up.?

17 Posts

April 26th, 2016 21:00

your welcome. how much ram are you trying to install? dual core are limited to 8gb only. this is a huge issue with many users on various websites. you can verify what im telling you on intel website. the next steps are a real pain, more about time than difficult. im sorry if you are way beyond in tech knowledge. one of the problems with forums. let me know...

17 Posts

April 26th, 2016 22:00

sorry about all the posts. do you have blinking warning lights? ie: scroll, caps lock, etc...I just read a post for a M6400 and the problem could be MB. yes I know you just changed it. and the likely hood of machine having same symptoms...with two MB. though this problem is fairly common in the M64, 65 series. I have done a lot of research and some of these machines were real (#@$#@$%). especially the oldest models 2009-2010. mine is a 2010. so, please answer my posts and check warning lights and we will tread onward. ill check back tomorrow 4/27/16.

April 27th, 2016 08:00

Hi, I am installing 2x 4gb chips. I have the first light solid and the other two blinking signifying no ram detected. I will try the power button thing. I've had luck with that working on macbook pros to get them to turn on. Mine was made 2012. Thanks for the suggestions. I am a certified pc tech which is why this one laptop that has me stumped is driving me nuts haha

April 27th, 2016 09:00

It starts to turn on and the fans kick on for a few seconds then they shut off and the error lights blink. The screen stays black, no light on it at all

17 Posts

April 27th, 2016 21:00

ok, I don't know if you serious or not, but I just started a course to become MS Software Eng. im a little long in the tooth but my life has changed a lot since dec 2015. I believe you have MB problem. I talked to ASUS yesterday about a x555la that I couldn't figure out. they told me they think it was video card. It had same symptoms as your M6600.  im going to keep researching about this. im in middle of a build of M6500. im sorry to not have new info. ill check site tmrw 4/28.

April 28th, 2016 15:00

I'll order a new motherboard and see if the issue is still there. 

17 Posts

April 29th, 2016 21:00

I just saw where you are going to order ne MB. have you verified that your ram is actually good. I read a post last week on another site, same problem as yours with a bad dimm. if you haven't checked it you may want to try that first.

17 Posts

April 30th, 2016 12:00

in dell support there is section where you put in service tag number. one of the first articles is on no post. it is explained quite well and gives t/s tips as it explains senerios. ex. if this happens try this, or do this. might want to read it. what i read so far, it couldnt hurt.

May 2nd, 2016 08:00

Do you have a link to that post? My ram is good. I used a few different sets of ram and even ordered a new set from dellk directly for this unit and nothing.

May 13th, 2016 13:00

So I got a new motherboard put new dell spec ram into it for this unit and boom same *** error, no ram installed. The only other thing I can think of is the cpu is bad and dells system error light codes are off on what they think the problem is. Sigh....Guess I'll try a new cpu. Thanks for nothing dell, your products ***

No Events found!