I have an XPS12 (new) purchased in August of 2013. it worked fine until I upgraded to windows 8.1 from 8. it then started doing exactly what you described. Infuriating! Dell support had me do a factory reset- problems continued, last week the screen went blank, when I ran a diagnostic it said 'no harddrive installed" I wound up having to send it to Dell, and they replaced the hard drive free of charge since its still under warranty. I got it back yesterday. It appears to be working fine so far- however, it came with windows 8 installed, and now I'm afraid to upgrade to windows 8.1.
On the 11th of March I received my new Dell XPS 12. I looked forward working with this device, however, I encountered many problems with it...:
- BATTERY: It looks like the battery is 'leaking': when the battery is fully charged, and the system has shut down, the battery doesn't show a 100% charge the next time the system is launched.
- BLUE SCREEN: I've had 4 blue screens with KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR in one month and the system needs to reset.
- SLEEPMODE: When the system goes into sleepmode after a period of non-activity, the system doesn't wake up proparly when I want to use my device again. This mainly occurs when the charger is plugged in. I need to do a hard reset by holding the power button for 10 seconds and then the system restarts.
- TOUCHPAD: when i want to go to the desktop mode from the windows screen by moving my cursor towards the desktop app with the touchpad, other apps open spontaneously. I need to close them everytime, to have access to the desktop mode. This only happens when the system just has launched. Switching from desktop mode to the windows screen doesn't generate this problem.
- SCREENROTATION: When I flip the screen, it doesn't rotate proparly. The auto-rotate sometimes doesn't register that the screen is flipped. Can I solve this by installing a proper driver?
I was also looking forward to get my hands on this device and work with it. Considering it's price and interesting design, I shouldn't be dealing with so many problems with a brand new system.
I would appreciate any comment or help.
I'm in the process of testing the xps 12 for a few of us at work and just yesterday I sent an email listing almost exactly your top three issues. I've had quirky issues with touchpad but because I basically have every function turned off is the reason I probably haven't experienced your issue. I've only had the xps12 about 3 weeks and so far I've reloaded windows 8.1 update 1 on it about 5 times trying different driver combinations with each reload. This has not helped. I continue to see blue screens, network disconnects, services not starting properly, inconsistent battery drain and my favorite was when the entire metro interface stopped working. Other than the default windows OS I'm installing office 2013 pro, Facebook app, flipboard app, and yahoo mail app. Ive tried only the dell website drivers, downloading up to date drivers from the manufacturers and getting the drivers off of the default built that came on the system and I'm still seeing issues. Its really strange though because they seem to only happen after a few days of usage. After ever reload I noticed I can go a day or two and then strangeness starts happening. Last night the audio wouldn't work because it said the services were stopped. This morning the network services were not started. I really think it has something to do with the way its going to sleep as you mentioned. Because I can reboot the system and everything usually starts up fine. The metro issue required a reload which I sort of connected back to solid stated drives and windows 8. Because there are a lot of articles <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> back 2 years on that same issue so its not just the xps12. I also believe that's way the battery seems to leak is because the sleep isn't really functioning properly. I noticed that intel and dell have settings you can adjust but changing them doesn't really seem to help from what I've seen. I have no idea what's causing all these issues but I really do love everything about the laptop. I know I didn't provide any solutions but I wanted you to know your not alone and I'm working my hardest to find solutions because like I said I really like this laptop and little quirks like this annoy me.
This worked perfectly!
Control Panel -- Power Options -- Change What Happens when Closing Lid -- Advanced Options -- Display --- Adaptive Brightness "Off".