Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 5th, 2010 06:00

Major problems XPS 2010

First off I am not sure where to post but I am hoping I can get advice.

I have always had great support from Dell in the past.

I cannot rember the date but while still under warranty I called due to overheating of my laptop. It was burning to touch over the primary hard drive. A tech was sent out and they replaced the hard drive motherboard fans etc.  And I still had same problems. So I called a second time and they replaced the fans again. 

I constantly heard a noise when the fan on the left would run.  And this was present when the tech finished the repair but he had no clue what to do about it. Trusting the tech who knew more than I I just dealt with the noise.

Long story but short version... Between court and medical problems and more recent financial problem I did not renew warranty and cannot afford to yet.

Recently have been having problems booting I get the message 

SATA Internal hard drive not found. To resolve this issued, try to reseat the drive.

I looked up the documentation to do this.

Followed instructions to the T removed the cosmetic cover to find that   the little tabs broken off on the left side. Ok easy to figure someone goofed on that. Then as I look not all the screws are there when the documentations says there should be and those that are there some are not even screwed in. I do not think they can unscrew themselves. So we have screws running loose inside my laptop.  I continue following the instructions and reseat both hard drives to find on one the cable is kinked up so that it is in front the connector for the hard drive this on the secondary drive. Now from what I can see in the documentation picture this is not right. Reseated both hard drives  unkinking the cable on the second drive. I did  not find the missing screws but I did seem to solve the noisy fan issue and now it runs quietly. 

Now at times it would boot and other times not and now it won’t boot I get the blue screen. The problem I  still have is  no SATA internal hard disk found.. When I try to boot computer it will start to load windows then I get the dreaded blue screen. It reboots and suggest the start  up repair option so I hit enter it starts that then  blue screens and we back to the  Sata  internal hard drive not found. Any ideas?

Right now we in start up repair again this is frustrating

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Does the BIOS see the drive?  If not, it's toast.  If it does, run a full diagnostic on it (f12 at powerup).  Run the extended diagnostic - NOT just the quick one.

If this system has two drives in RAID 0, remember that failure of either drive mean you lose everything on both drives.

13 Posts

it jut booted into windows  again but it take hoours fighting it everytime and yes  the bios sees it

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 5th, 2010 08:00

Run a full diagnostic on the drive - chances are it's on its way to paperweight status.

13 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 05:00

Hello again juyst  wanted to say  all up and running again.  did the diag and kept getting Hard drive failure  so replaces both hard drives, while i was doing that i removed the fan and something went  snap but couldnt find a problem. any how i put the fan back in and decided to test it before replacing  whatever went snap was what was causing the problem no more annoying noise and no overheating ( and yes its spinning now) and with the new hard drives no errors.

now  i need to fix  the inspiron 5100 I was given as a backup the dang thing is typing some characters wrong

K=2

L=3

M= 0

and the like  still searching the  forum and cant get into its bios either 

Just wanted to thank  for the help for my 2010 and update on problems fixed

No Events found!