Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2010 11:00

Many problems with Inspiron 1750 - extremely slow and gray screen

Someone please tell me you can help me.... I bought an Inspiron 1750 about 8 months ago. Everything was great until about 3 months ago when I moved back from college. All of a sudden it is EXTREMELY slow. Starting up takes at the very least 5 minutes, programs won't open, such as Microsoft Word and iTunes.  I have plenty of space but even deleted some stuff.  The screen saver will freeze and the laptop becomes unusable.  Then a gray screen appeared but I could still move around the cursor fine. Now when I turn it on it goes into hibernation automatically and I don't know why. I called Dell and the lady only tried to sell me something for RAM, which may not even solve anything.  I have a 3 year warranty but apparently if it's a software issue, it does not apply. I'm so frustrated that I'm about to run the laptop over so I can use the warranty for a new one.  Please please help me, I can't afford this and need my latop for business.  I thought Dell was supposed to be one of the best computer companies, maybe I'm learning differently.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 29th, 2010 16:00

There's your answer - bad hard drive.  Report the error to Dell and they'll send a replacement under warranty.

8 Posts

August 29th, 2010 12:00

I just booted it in Safe Mode, it took about 15 minutes.  I read over the description of Safe Mode and was about to try the sugestions of opening frequently used programs to start an elimination process of what works and what doesn't to try to find the problem, but then it went to the gray screen again.  Now it is frozen on the screen saver.  Therefore, I'm still experiencing problems in Safe Mode.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Will the system start up and run properly in Safe Mode (F8 before WIndows loads)?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

That suggests hardware - F12 at powerup, Dell Diagnostics - run the extended (NOT just the quick) test on the hard drive and memory (RAM).

8 Posts

August 29th, 2010 13:00

Ok, I'm currently shutting down my computer from Safe Mode. When I turn it back on, when and how many times do I press F12?

8 Posts

August 29th, 2010 13:00

I repeatedly pressed F12 during multiple stages of starting up, but I was never asked about running diagnostics.  What am I doing wrong?  Another note about problems with the computer is that the the tools on the top right side bar and the top middle of the screen do not appear.

8 Posts

August 29th, 2010 15:00

I finally got the F12 to work to run a Diagnostic.  It said "Error Code 0333.  Msg: Error Code 2000-0333.  Msg: Video - user provided no input for graphics test.  THe given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical support to help diagnose the problem.  Do you want to continue?" I said Yes and now it is going through a bunch of different things.  It beeps in 2 different ways and the screen switched colors, like red, blue, green, white, and gray.  What in the world is going on?????

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You are supposed to answer the question posted at the bottom of each screen yes or no.

8 Posts

Ok I keep answering Yes so that it goes through the whole process.  I got another Error - Error Code 2000-0142  Msg: Hard drive O - self test unsuccessful. Status: 70.   Now I am running the remaining memory tests, which it said could take around 30 minutes.

8 Posts

August 29th, 2010 16:00

Thank you so much, enj63!!!!! I will let you know if I find out anything else that I need help with, if that's ok. You've been a tremendous help!

1 Message

September 11th, 2010 22:00

I am having some of the same problems with my 1 yr old Inspiron 1750.  Boot is slow, runs really slow, then freezes, then cursor moves a couple inches, freezes again.  After a few minutes it will lock up and the screen goes black except for the cursor which now moves fine.  The only way to get it back is to turn it off and start again.  At first it only did it after running for a while and some nights it worked the entire evening with no freezes - just really slow on the internt.  I was cussing my cable provider.  Tonight, I haven't been able to do anything except in Safe Mode. I have run the Diagnostics and everything was fine, I reloaded Windows 7... no help.  Tonight the network adapter seems to have joined the fun...Device manager says its working fine but it tells me there are no networks available, even in Safe Mode.  I tried turning the adapter on and off, no luck.  My wireless network is working fine, I'm using it right now on my notebook.  I haven't added anything or changed anything recently.  I've had hard drives go out in other machines, they never acted like this.  However I had a CPU die once, a long and painful death and that machine was as unpredictable and erractic as this one has been the last month or so.

1 Message

December 13th, 2011 00:00

There's nothing wrong with your screen or with video card, software, drivers  etc.

The problem is poor screen wiring design by DeLL.

The screen wires rest right on top of the left side hinge,

now the screen frame has a hinge cover that rub on the wires

as time goes by, the opening and closing of the lid wears out the wires.

This causes the flickering of the screen, that's why when you move the screen back and forth

the picture clears up.

I spoke to DELL customer service about this problem and they refused to do anything about it.

DeLL is aware of this problem with Inspiron 1750, there are thousands of customers

all over the world with the same problem.

No Events found!