Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2017 12:00

Massive fps drop after bios update (Dell Laptop)

Hello Guys, I'm going to talk about my experience when it comes to Dell Bios update leading to decreased gaming (and overall) performance. 

I have a Dell inspiron N5110, with i5-2430M CPU, 8GB Ram and Nvidia GT525M.

When I first bought I had windows 7 and then in one of the community posts I saw that: in order to install windows 10 I had to upgrade my Bios version from A09 to A11, and I did it because I wanted to prove that I have a powerful computer that runs windows 10 and plays games smoothly, Ever since THAT bios update (Jan 2017) until September 2017 (yesterday), I had massive FPS drops from League of legends to GTA 5 and 4 , Driver san francisco, saints row the third & 4, ... etc and games were lagging a lot, I first thought it was a GPU driver error I changed the driver and it worked BUT ONLY for league of legends & world of warcraft .. the rest of the games were still laggy, after that, I Downgraded BIOS Version and I still had the same problem, then I searched forums all over the Net and most of them say it was an overheating problem. Until yesterday, I found the long searched for solution for my decreased performance, EVERY BIOS update requires clearing CMOS. You can do it easily following these steps:

1. Disconnect the system from external power source, remove main battery on a laptop.

2. Remove the computer cover and locate the CMOS coin cell battery (Figures 2: Desktop or 3: Laptop)

3. Remove or disconnect the coin cell battery

4. Press the power button for at least 10 seconds to drain all residual power from the system

5. Re-insert or re-connect the coin cell battery

6. Assemble the unit and verify functionality

7. When the system is powered on, it will warn that the date and time is not set, indicating a successful reset

PS: You must do this after each BIOS version change.

2.3K Posts

September 7th, 2017 21:00

Hi Lokmen,

Thanks for posting this.

1 Message

September 17th, 2017 06:00

Hi Lokmen,

This is nice article thanks for sharing.

No Events found!