Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2009 07:00

Maximum memory Dell Insipron 1720

Hello.

I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 1720 and I want to know if supports 8 Gb RAM (or at least 6Gb)? Thank you.

I have BIOS version A08.

1.1K Posts

Max = 4gigs for the 1720.

I believe it's two slots with 2gigs in each.

1.6K Posts

4G max.

1.6K Posts

March 15th, 2009 08:00

No, that isn't going to happen - the 1720 is end of life and has been for some time.  No further BIOS updates will be released.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2009 08:00

Thank you for your fast response. Any chance to appear a new bios revision that allows more ram to be installed? (the chipset on this laptop is intel P965).

2 Posts

July 16th, 2009 12:00

Kingston says it can go to 8 GB.  I have a 1720 running Windows 7 x64 RC and I wanted to upgrade to 8 GB as well.  I haven't ordered the 8 GB yet and I might not since Dell doesn't confirm that it can go to 8 GB.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?id=1&SysID=38443&mfr=Dell&model=Inspiron+1720&search_type=&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=38443-Dell-Inspiron+1720&distributor=0&submit1=Search

2 Posts

July 30th, 2009 18:00

The Inspiron 1720 can take up a maximum of 6GB. Not 4. All those who replied saying 4GB is the max don't really own this machine or have never tested it. No offence but I hate it when people assume things that aren't even true.

The 1720 uses a GM965 chipset. The maximum support is 6GB with BIOS A09. Tried and tested on my own machine. The X9000 processor works on it as well with highest temperature of 60*C.

I did some testing in Notebookreview as well. This is for proof:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=305464

8GB will not work for this machine. Not because of a chipset limitation but a BIOS limitation. It will not boot with 8GB and will freeze at the BIOS screen.

March 4th, 2010 08:00

I've double checked this, using both 6 and 8GB. Even though Dell officially stated in it's initial release that it supports 4GB, the actual maximum ram is 6GB at this point in time (Bios A09).

If you have matched pairs of 4GB modules (for 8GB) the initial "Ram Discovery" boot get's almost all the way through before locking up. This is almost certainly a bios limitation and not a physical limitation of the system.

Do you still want 8GB of RAM? What you need to do, EVERYONE, is call Dell tech support and tell them we want a bios that will support 8GB. It doesn't matter if the product is EOLed at this point. Make it a PR issue. I for one would be more willing to continue purchasing Dells if I knew they were willing to take care of past customers (keep in mind, I've caused HUNDREDS of dells to be purchased for the school I work for).
Dell DOES listen to customer feedback.  Do it, call them. Call them twice! Make them notice. We are not happy with this limitation and it's their job to fix it.

March 28th, 2010 19:00

Additional note... I've noticed, after using this that unless an application needs the extra ram (as in running 20+ browser tabs the computer seems to be slower with 6GB of ram (as opposed to 4GB of matched ram).. I'm willing to bet this has something to do with the memory controller.

Until Dell (or someone) enables using matched 4GB Dimms (for a total of 8GB) I'd recommend buying a pair of very fast 2GB dimms (for a total of 4GB). I'm stuck with 6 for a while, and not super happy about it.

Dell guys! Get someone to update the bios! After all the mess ups with customer support and you guys breaking my laptop you have a potentially VERY unhappy person on your hands. Show us some love and update that bios!!!!!

6 Posts

April 16th, 2011 09:00

how about hacking the Dell BIOS? If you're desperate? My machine's well past warranty, I wouldn't care.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7517-How-to-Mod-Dell-BIOS-Guide ?

4 Posts

October 20th, 2011 05:00

Hi,

is there anybody who hacked the bios till yet? I need the RAM for simulation programs. So you can see, that this is be very important for me...

Help me, please....

4 Posts

October 20th, 2011 06:00

Oh, that are bad news. I thought I could use 8gb RAM, if I update the BIOS. So a new mainboard isn't really an acceptable option...and for a new laptop, I don't have enough money...:(

Shit...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You are free to try - however, the BIOS isn't solely responsible and you're very likely to find it's the mainboard that is the limit.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you really need that much RAM, the application is probably better run on a desktop anyway.

October 20th, 2011 07:00

While the chipset IS 8gb capable, so-far no one has modified the bios. Here's another thread

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-dell-inspiron-1720-memory-limit-bug?pid=25059#pid25059

Also of *note* I remember reading somewhere that the chipset within this motherboard experiences significant performance decline if you try to use more than 6GB.... I did notice a decline in performance when I went from 4GB to 6GB, until I started making use of all the ram.

4 Posts

October 20th, 2011 07:00

Until now, I use 6gig of ram. For my simulations, the program use up to 5.8gb of ram. In my opinion the peformance raise extremely up, but with 8 gig it could be better ;)

I don't understand, that DELL doesn't make anything to hold the Inspiron up to date...

No Events found!