Hebi88
1 Copper

Re: Maximum memory Dell Insipron 1720

Hi,

is there anybody who hacked the bios till yet? I need the RAM for simulation programs. So you can see, that this is be very important for me...

Help me, please....

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You are free to try - however, the BIOS isn't solely responsible and you're very likely to find it's the mainboard that is the limit.

0 Kudos
Hebi88
1 Copper

Oh, that are bad news. I thought I could use 8gb RAM, if I update the BIOS. So a new mainboard isn't really an acceptable option...and for a new laptop, I don't have enough money...Smiley Sad

Shit...

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

If you really need that much RAM, the application is probably better run on a desktop anyway.

0 Kudos
relativityboy
1 Copper

While the chipset IS 8gb capable, so-far no one has modified the bios. Here's another thread

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-dell-inspiron-1720-memory-limit-bug?pid=25059#pid25059

Also of *note* I remember reading somewhere that the chipset within this motherboard experiences significant performance decline if you try to use more than 6GB.... I did notice a decline in performance when I went from 4GB to 6GB, until I started making use of all the ram.

0 Kudos
Hebi88
1 Copper

Until now, I use 6gig of ram. For my simulations, the program use up to 5.8gb of ram. In my opinion the peformance raise extremely up, but with 8 gig it could be better Smiley Wink

I don't understand, that DELL doesn't make anything to hold the Inspiron up to date...

0 Kudos
thedoors
1 Copper

Shame no one has hacked the bios yet.....here's hoping someone can help us!

In related news, I'll soon be upgrading my Vostro 1700 CPU to a brand new 2.8GHz X9000 (the fastest possible CPU allowed in 1700/1720), and will report back about that for reference.

0 Kudos
relativityboy
1 Copper

Nice thing about the 1700/20 is the extra drive bay. I put a 2.4?/2.6? with 6MB cache in it... then added a 128gb ssd as my OS/Apps/Swap location. I have a 640GB drive as my data drive. Much faster now.  I recommend the SSD.

0 Kudos
thedoors
1 Copper

i have put two crucial realssd 256GB C300s in mine Smiley Happy. the cpu will be the biggest performance boost (apart from drives), can't wait for it!!

0 Kudos
Hebi88
1 Copper

Please let us know as soon as possible, when you finish your upgrade on your Vostro. I hope you get good results...

0 Kudos