Jolio
1 Nickel

Meaning of "Last Updated" in Driver Download pages

One thing that I have wondered about from time to time is whether I have the latest drivers. I can run the automated scans, but sometimes I wonder whether they may miss a driver for some reason.

e.g. The "Last Updated" and even "Release Date" fields may appear to be newer than an installed driver.

Is "Last Updated" actually when the driver download page was last reviewed? Or does it indicate an actual change to a driver?

Is it possible for a driver version number to be up to date but a driver be re-released to install an updated firmware? e.g. Intel Rapid Storage Driver may have a version number 10.1.0.1008 A07, and looking at my system I can only easily verify that the first version number is matching - I wonder if A07 is a firmware version number and that I could perhaps have 10.1.0.1008 A04 installed?

2 Replies

RE: Meaning of "Last Updated" in Driver Download pages

The "Last Updated" data on our website is confusing to us all and many times incorrect. I would simply trust Windows update to know if a driver needs updating. For all Intel devices, I use their free utility.

0 Kudos
Jolio
1 Nickel

RE: Meaning of "Last Updated" in Driver Download pages

Thanks - I have also been running the Intel update utility. When one updates from Intel or graphics card sites one often is worried by warning that they are giving you generic drivers and that it is better to get a driver from Dell as they may have customized it (I wonder what such customizations may consist of.. perhaps a driver for some custom variant of a graphics card with slower clock speed? or some limiting of some component to limit the power draw or heat created?). On the other hand, for an old model like the E6420, one suspects that Dell are just no longer doing non-critical updates and so one is missing out on any new features or optimizations and fixes.

As for Windows updates - when it comes to device drivers I have sometimes had problems so I tend to be cautious. e.g. I think sometimes a WHQL certified driver will be pushed to one which is older than the one that is currently installed (perhaps from, for example, NVIDIA). Version numbers often do not seem to be a useful guide as to which driver is newer.

I guess I am just a worrier and perfectionist.

0 Kudos