Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

21 Posts

March 28th, 2006 13:00

Media Direct Button

Can anyone tell me how the Media Direct button on my new E1505 supposed to work ?
With the computer off, I can push the button to start the MD program. But when I close the cover, the program will stop.  When I re-open the cover,  the screen has turned black and the computer turned off.  After a few times, the MD button no longer work.
Is MD supposed to work with the cover open only ?
I'd like to be able to play a music CD with the cover closed (by using the front buttons).  Is it possible ?

312 Posts

March 28th, 2006 18:00

Good question. I've only used it w/ the cover open. I'm assuming it probably goes into standby and then hibernation once closed to reduce heat generation.

4 Posts

May 4th, 2006 19:00

I had just gotten the Inspiron E1505 just recently and I have been playing around with the Media Direct. When you push the Media Direct button when your computer is initially off, it will load a standalone Media Direct program that runs off a different operating system than Windows XP (I believe is Windows PE or something like that). This is a Dell & Cyberlink program, not a Microsoft produced program, therefore it does not have some of the features as Windows XP Media Center. Also, the operating system for that program is very basic, in that it does not have any power control settings, therefore when you close the lid, the program automatically exits and turns off the computer, whereas in XP Media Center, if you set the power control to not do anything when you close the lid, it will not turn the computer off. Now several bugs I have found is that when you close the lid, sometimes the program exits, but the computer is still on (the power LED on the laptop is still green). In order to turn it off, you have to hold the power button for about 5-10 secs for it to shutoff. Hope this helps.

8 Posts

July 22nd, 2006 00:00

Yo need to have the software installed fot it to work

4 Posts

July 28th, 2006 18:00

Hello,

I also have Dell Inspiron E 1405. I too was having the same problem, that the program exits whenever the lid is closed. I chatted with Technical support which was not at all helpful. It showed me the same stuff I had tried. Then I called up Dell and they said me that as of now this is not possible. May be later they can have an update on the player to have it work. I asked when. She said that it might be a year also.

Does any one know that HP Quick play which is similar to Dell Media direct has this option supported?

Thanks,
Noor

4 Posts

July 28th, 2006 20:00

Yea I have a E1505, and here is the weird part about Media Direct/Center. When I first got it, I was able to use media direct to play music and when I closed the lid, it would still run and i was able to use the front buttons to control the program. After about the 3rd day i had received my laptop, everytime I closed the lid, the program would exit. Not sure why, and now I can't get it to keep running when the lid is closed. Weird.

Message Edited by Kaye006 on 07-28-200604:23 PM

4 Posts

July 29th, 2006 18:00

Yes, this is absolutely wierd. Are you 100% sure that you were able to play the music for the first three days throuhg dell media direct even if the lid was closed? If so, did u contact dell about it if you were unable to play it after the 3rd day. You have just raised a hope of light that this would work.

Thanks.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2006 08:00

I haven't contacted Dell about it, but yes for sure for the first few days I was able to use Media Direct with the lid closed because I was sitting in my car listening to some music with my laptop. It stopped doing it after I did a Dell factory settings recovery because I had accidentally uninstalled some programs that I needed. Now I kick myself in the behind for doing that :smileysad:

4 Posts

August 13th, 2006 23:00

No, that does not. That only helps when you are in Windows. I am talking about when we are in Dell Media Direct only. When the lid closes the program exits and the computer shuts down.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2006 23:00

I read this posting and had the same problem.  I went to the control panel and selected "Performance and Maintenance", then selected "Power Options" then "Advanced" and then selected "when I close the lid of my portable computer," and then selected "Do nothing".  I closed the lid and the music played. I hope this helps. 

2 Posts

August 14th, 2006 01:00

I was just giving a way to play music while the laptop is closed.  I also have a E1505 and was presenting a work around for getting music to play while the laptop is closed.

August 15th, 2006 14:00

Hi all,

I purchased a new Dell XPS M1710 about 6 weeks ago. After installing a number of programmes It began to become sluggish and slow at start up. I re-installed Windows XP using the CDs provided and all Windows updates, and everything Works.

When my laptop is off and I press the Dell Media button, instead of just launching this appliction as it should, it launches into windows and then the Dell Media application. How do I go about correcting this as its prety annoying?

4 Posts

August 15th, 2006 16:00

There is a setting in Dell Media Direct that gives you the option.

Go to Dell Media Experience
Then to Settings
In General, Select the Start up destination as Windows.
Then Dell Media Experience will not load at the time Windows starts.

However, this may not be enought to fix the problem of getting Dell Media Experience when you click the Media Button.

August 16th, 2006 07:00

No Events found!