Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2015 10:00

Microphone Latitude E5520

Hello,

I installed Win10 on E5520 but now I can't use the microphone and I don't find the drivers. 

Somebody can send me the link?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 5th, 2015 05:00

With this installation, I can use microphone and earphones, but if I remove the earphones, the speaker don't run. 

The speakers worked okay before you installed the IDT driver? Open the Sounds properties (Control Panel>Sounds) and find Speakers/Headphones on the Playback tab. Make sure that under Speakers it says "default device".

If that doesn't help then try switching from the IDT driver back tot the Windows native audio driver by doing this:

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the IDT driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

If the speakers work all right with the native driver but not with the IDT driver then something in Win10 is preventing them from working.

=====================================================================

By the way, in certain circumstances the headphone jack handles different audio from what the speakers do.What I mean is, let's say you have the headphones set to be the "Communication" device, then when you are skyping or playing online games the communication audio will only go through the headphones, while only music or game sounds will go through the speakers. If that is what is happening, disable the Communication device, then all audio will go through the speakers or go through headphones when plugged in.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2015 21:00

Hi fc60,

Dell Latitude E5520 has not been tested by Dell for Windows 10 operating system you will not find drivers for it. You will need to download the Windows 7 or 8 drivers and install it on compatibility mode.

7 Posts

November 4th, 2015 03:00

Thanks Ravi,

I know this, I read the drivers page, but I not be able to find the driver Win8 for microphone.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 4th, 2015 05:00

for microphone.

Hello. There is no separate driver for microphone. Install the IDT audio driver.

I not be able to find the driver Win8

Dell did not support Win8 or 8.1 on the Latitude E5520. Trying installing the IDT audio driver for Win7, using compatibility mode.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop.
2. Double click on the new icon on the desktop to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7.

If installing the IDT driver does not help then I would suggest that you revert the laptop back to the operating system in which the mic worked, unless there is a compelling reason to have the Win10 operating system. If there is such a reason then it might help to perform a clean installation of Win10 and then install the audio and other device drivers. We have been told that a clean installation might work better than the upgrade path installation.

From all of the numerous posts we have been getting about it, Win10 seems to be very buggy regarding audio. Other posters have complained about microphone no longer working.

7 Posts

November 4th, 2015 06:00

Thanks Jimco,
Now I have my microphone!!!
Another question. With this installation, I can use microphone and earphones, but if I remove the earphones, the speaker don't run. 

Why?

7 Posts

November 5th, 2015 10:00

MANY THANKS JIMCO, IT RUN!!!!!!!!

I am always happy when the answer comes from one with the white beard. Especially when a young person says: You can't do it.

No Events found!