Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2015 16:00

Microphone volume is very low on a Dell inspiron 13 7348 with Windows 10

On my brand new Dell inspiron 13 7348 the microphone volume is so low that my skype partners can barely hear me. I checked all the setting of skype and of the dell audio software plus I updated all the drivers... without success

Plugging in an extermal microphone solves the issue, however, I would prefer not to always carry an extra microphone with me!

Has anybody found a way to increase the volume of the mic?

Since an external devise is working well I am afraid that the build-in mic is actually of minor quality... what a disappointment

2 Posts

September 18th, 2015 07:00

So far nothing has changed. I keep going to all my meetings with my laptop and this separate webcam with a build-in microphone which I used last in 2005... it's ridiculous... Don't know how many times I had to explain to colleagues why I am using this external mic... Btw their Skype works well on non-Dell computers with Windows 10 so I assume it's a problem that only affects Dell users...

As I said before, it's a big disappointment and in the future I will avoid Dell products. 

21 Posts

September 18th, 2015 08:00

My problem solved with the following instuction:
1. Download Skype 6.14.0.104 (only this version)
2. Uninstall the recent version
3. Install the previously downloaded Skype 6.14.0.104

Hope Microsoft will fix it with a software update. It seems not only Dell customers are affected.

I have followed your advice. Uninstalled Skype version 7 and used Revo Uninstaller to ensure all the registry entries were removed. Then found the version 6.14.0.104 on File Hippo and downloaded it.  Then re-enabled my Microphone, then installed the version 6.

Regrettably, it still does not work either with Skype or Cortana.  You can just about hear a very muffled playback - not sufficient to understand the words, with the volume turned up to the point where feedback starts.

So still waiting for a fix.  To late to return to Windows 8.1 on my laptop as the 30 days have expired.

September 18th, 2015 09:00

I am having the same issue with mine (Latitude e7450) with low playback after using a mic for recording. I am not using it for the purpose of skyping but rather for recording narration on powerpoint and articulate files. I have reinstalled articulate and ppt and there is no change. I have ensured that the recording levels are maxed in the Dell audio settings. Any help would be appreciated, since this is for work!

21 Posts

September 19th, 2015 03:00

I am having the same issue with mine (Latitude e7450) with low playback after using a mic for recording. I am not using it for the purpose of skyping but rather for recording narration on powerpoint and articulate files. I have reinstalled articulate and ppt and there is no change. I have ensured that the recording levels are maxed in the Dell audio settings. Any help would be appreciated, since this is for work!

If you do have Skype on your computer (even though you don't use it) it might be useful to make use of the Microphone testing service that it provides to test your microphone and see if it suggests a fix for the low volume.  Just a thought. is this situation after installing Windows 10?. If so, it could well be related.

September 17th, 2015 02:00

It is a known problem with Windows 10, Realtek HD and Skype. If you try the microphone with another program it will work fine. Just uninstall Skype and install Skype 6.14.0.104 and everything will working again.

September 18th, 2015 03:00

My problem solved with the following instuction:
1. Download Skype 6.14.0.104 (only this version)
2. Uninstall the recent version
3. Install the previously downloaded Skype 6.14.0.104

Hope Microsoft will fix it with a software update. It seems not only Dell customers are affected.

21 Posts

September 18th, 2015 03:00

It is a known problem with Windows 10, Realtek HD and Skype. If you try the microphone with another program it will work fine. Just uninstall Skype and install Skype 6.14.0.104 and everything will working again.

Yes, it is a known problem. The Microsoft Community forum has nine pages of woe from people who have upgraded to Windows 10, including me. Uninstalling SKYPE does not help, neither does getting a new Realtek driver. I and my local techie have spent hours on trying to resolve this issue on my laptop an Inspiron 15 without success. As a temporary fix, we have done the option of disabling the microphone and using my c510 Logitech webcam which works fine, but totally inconvenient to  carry around.

Microsoft should do something about this!  I'm surprised that Dell also does not seem to recognise the problem and try to help their customers.  I have been a loyal customer for years and have all my computers/laptops from them.

Come on DELL what about some help..

September 21st, 2015 10:00

I have windows 7, so not related there. I have tried both USB  and jack microphones and there is no difference. This is definitely frustrating, as I do voice-overs for a living. I have not come across this issue with any other computer. Both mics have been used without issue on other laptops and PC's.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2015 21:00

I found a solution that worked for me. I was part of the Windows 10 Insider Preview and had downloaded an audio driver when I was testing it out. Dell didn't have Windows 10 support at the time, so the driver is actually for Windows 8.1 systems and found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=WGXF3

I didn't give the installer a try, but instead just extracted the files, then went into Device Manager->Sound, Video, and Game Controllers->Realtek High Definition Audio Device->Update Driver Software->Browse My Computer->Let me pick from a list->Have disk, then navigate to where you extracted the driver files until you get to the vista64 folder. Open that, click next, and it should roll back your driver.

It seems as though the Dell Audio Manager is no longer installed now as well. I have a feeling it tries to do something fancy with the mic settings but doesn't interface as well as they'd hope.

21 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 02:00

I'm fairly sure the problem is with Realtek drivers under Windows 10 and less to do with Skype although it shows up in Skype most. A temp fix that worked for me was to go to Control Panel, Device manager, Sound Video and Games controllers, Update Driver, Browse, Pick and choose the generic High Definition Audio Device. This is not really a long term solution but does seem to work correctly.

This was with 
- Brand new XPS15 9530
- Immediate upgrade to Win 10
- Windows update and Dell updates applied and up to date
- Audio drivers show Realtek HD Audio, 6.0.1.7544
- Skype 7.10.0.101 up to date.

1 Message

November 8th, 2015 13:00

I have a Dell inspiron 13 7352. After playing around with it for a while that following seemed to elicit a response...

1. Search for the control panel and open it. 

2. Press Hardware and sound

3. Press 'Sound'. In the window that comes up, press of the recording tab.

4. Double click microphone and the microphone properties will pop up. Click on the 'Listen' tab. 

5. Search for the name of your default speaker/microphone.

That's all I got. Good luck!

December 7th, 2015 10:00

my laptop,Service Tag BCNSQY1,has no sound,or a bad one,on microphone builtin...I tryied several drivers with no solution...can anybody help ?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 7th, 2015 11:00

my laptop...has no sound,or a bad one,on microphone builtin...I tryied several drivers with no solution...

Hello. Contact Dell tech support in your country. Your warranty may expire soon so do not delay.

2 Posts

December 14th, 2015 12:00

Dell made it clear they won't create windows 10 drivers for old models. I didn't even check the mic but I have very low volume on the speakers since I installed Windows 10 on my latitude e&410

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 14th, 2015 18:00

my latitude e&410

Hello. Can you give your model name again please? Maybe it's an E5410 or an E6410?

No Events found!