Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2014 06:00

Missing product key

I've got a vostro 3300, but am missing the sticker on the laptop and no longer have the install disks. It is running win 7 pro sp1 32 bit and I'm trying to get windows media center to recognize my silicondust homerun prime cablecard. I had it working at one point, but now I have to reactivate it. The issue is that my windows product key as it is dispayed in belarc advisor results the following wmc error: "Activation Error. You have entered the activation key for windows, Enter the activation key to enable support for digital cable." Belarc advisor has a note beside the windows product key to change product key under properties, but on this OEM laptop there is no option to do so.

Is there a utility to find out the product key as it would have appeared on the sticker affixed to the bottom of the laptop. Would this key be any different than the one displayed by belar advisor - Key: 32KD2-K9CTF-M3DJT-4J3WC-733WD

77 Posts

September 20th, 2014 07:00

I don't know why I would need to order backup discs if they don't have a product key which will activate digital cable.

285 Posts

Hi,

Request Dell Backup Discs These discs do not require a product key since they use System Locked Pre-installation.

77 Posts

BTW, that product key is no secret, google it. The first link is on a Microsoft site.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 20th, 2014 08:00

You need to get an activation key for the cable adapter from your provider - this has nothing to do with Windows activation or the product key.

If the system came with Windows 7, the activation key is on a label in the battery compartment (it's not the same key you'll find if you use a utility to pull the key from the Windows install, if the Windows is factory installed - those are installed on the image used at the factory.

77 Posts

September 26th, 2014 07:00

The activation key for homerun prime cable card does not work. I tried the product key from the battery compartment which did not work. My Vostro 3300 shipped with Windows 7 pro. Researching the issue, I thought since I had installed a new keyboard recently that may have been the issue. I ran slmgr.vbs /upk, then slui.exe and tried to reactivate Windows using the product key from the battery compartment and got error code 0x80070005. Tried it again double checking the product key and got the same response.

No Events found!