Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

46 Posts

December 22nd, 2007 21:00

Momentary blank screen during boot

3 days after receiving my Latitude D830 I found an issue that has got me curious. I'm using Vista Business with NVIDIA NVS 140M.

Initial Vistas updates went fine on my first day. I also chose to download the optional updates for the 140M (dated on the update history details as released October '07) and another for "CSR plc - Other hardware - Dell Wireless 260 Bluetooth Module".

On the first 2 attempts the optional downloads failed. On the third attempt 2 days later they completed without a hitch. 

I noticed that after this success the boot changed - now during the boot the desktop, icons and sidebar set up as normal. Then there's a pause where there's no reaction on my mousepad which is followed by the screen blanking out for a second. After this the desktop returns as it was before the blank flash. The boot was seamless before the optional downloads.

Is this a common issue? Any ideas on why this occurs and a fix?

Thanks for your time.

January 2nd, 2008 04:00

I can confirm that both our HP and Dell laptops (all models) have this momentary black screen issue right after the desktop icons first show up.  I can say it's a common, if not normal part of your computer's boot sequence.  Conversly, I don't see desktops doing this, but perhaps just my memory is foggy. 

All I can suggest is to get the latest chipset/video driver directly from intel since it takes a while for Dell/Microsoft to take those drivers and repackage them to work with microsoft update or put them on the Dell website.  Even if that doesn't work, don't take it as an indication of your machine being unhealthy. 

Drivers for your Intel Mobile Express PM965 chipset (Latitude D830) can be found here. 

46 Posts

January 2nd, 2008 14:00

Thanks Mike
No Events found!