Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2017 07:00

Monitor acting like scratch-off ticket on M3800

I have a user with a Precision M3800 on an E-Port Plus dock with a single Dell monitor who is unable to use the external monitor because the image is covered with a layer of black.  If you move the mouse, it "scratches away" the black like a coin on a scratch-off lottery ticket, exposing whatever's beneath.

But if you move a window, it refreshes the blackness again.

This unit is running Win7 with all the latest patches, Dell drivers and BIOS, and nVidia drvers (Quadro K1100M).

It's also worth mentioning that we had to turn off desktop composition under the visual effects performance menu to fix an issue with AutoCAD 2014 where the menu bars would not show up.  Don't know if this would be related, but thought it should be mentioned.

I've also tried driver rollbacks, but that's not been helpful either.

So I'm hoping someone in the forums or from Dell has some inkling of what's going on, because so far I'm at a loss.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 26th, 2017 10:00

JSherryLPC,

Yes it will. The users has to have admin rights for the system and able to install software/ drivers. 

• 

16.7K Posts

July 20th, 2017 10:00

JSherryLPC,

Bypass the E-Port and plug the monitor directly into the notebook to see if that has any effect. Also, reinstall the video card drivers and update the bios firmware. Perform a self test on the monitor as well.

July 21st, 2017 07:00

That's really not an option.  The monitor is DP/VGA and the laptop (in Dell's dubious wisdom) uses mini-DP or HDMI.  And the user is at a remote location and can't buy a mini-DP cable just for the sake of testing.  And since you can't go from HDMI to DP, that option is out as well.

However, the monitor shouldn't be at issue since it can display everything once you "scratch off the black".  It seems to be in software that the black is originating.

As to the drivers, I've rolled back the onboard and it reinstalled the new version on it's own.  And the nVidia drivers were installed using the clean install option  And I updated the BIOS prior to giving it to the user.  That's why this is so peculiar.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 26th, 2017 05:00

JSHERRYLPC,

Have the user call into Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 and troubleshoot with an phone tech.

July 26th, 2017 07:00

Will it matter that they're a standard domain user who is unable to install software?

July 26th, 2017 14:00

Ok, thanks.  

No Events found!