dellstudio
1 Copper

Motherboard Compatibility

Hello,

I have a Dell Studio 1558, model PP39L which is in need of a motherboard replacement. My motherboard's model is MTN40. 

I was wondering if it these following models can be used instead: G936P or CGY2Y.

Are there any other models which are compatible with my model?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Motherboard Compatibility

G946P has Intel video;  CGY2Y has ATI.  I don't see your part number listed anywhere -- if you change from ATI to Intel or vice-versa you'll need a new heatsink.

0 Kudos
dellstudio
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply. I could not find the number online also.

I asked Dell Customer service for the motherboard model number and this was the one that they gave me.

My laptop has a core i5 processor with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 1GB graphics card.

Do you think CGY2Y would be compatible?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Yes.  All of the ATI-based boards interchange.

0 Kudos
Dell-Rajesh R
4 Ruthenium

Hi dellstudio,

G936P is an Intergrated videocard motherboard. CGY2Y is a discrete videocard motherboard but the video card is soldered onto the motherboard.

Studio 1558 with discrete video is powered by 90 W E-Series AC adapters and the Studio 1558 with integrated video by a 65 W E-Series AC adapter.

Please reply for further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

0 Kudos
TxT0ast
1 Copper

I also have the G936P motherboard in my Studio 1558. Is this motherboard interchangeable with CGY2Y?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

CGY2Y has ATI video;  G936P has Intel.  To make the switch, you'll also need to replace the heatsink and the fan assembly - the one for ATI video doesn't fit the Intel UMA board and vice-versa.

<<www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=7157>>

<<www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=9170>>

You'll need both parts in addition to the mainboard.

To swap only the mainboard, you'll need a board with ATI video:

<<www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=10269>>

(one example;  there are others).

0 Kudos