Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2012 08:00

Mouse Problems?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1440.

Couple years old, everything works fine. I keep pretty much everything on an external hard drive.

Woke up this morning, and turned it on and something is going on with the mouse. 

The touchpad works fine, the 'tap to click' thing works also.

When I press the mousepad buttons though, either of them, it just brings up the right-click menu.

I trying restarting, changing all the settings, deleted the driver and reinstalled it..

Can anyone help?

July 24th, 2012 09:00

Hi Megii89,

Welcome to the community.

It appears the right click button is stuck. However in order to isolate the issue, you can check the touchpad in safe mode by performing the following steps-

Restart the system, start tapping the F8 key as soon as you see the Dell Logo. Highlight the Option "Safe Mode with Networking" and hit enter. In case it does the same thing in safe mode as well, palmrest would need to be replaced.

Let me know the findings. Glad to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Chiranjeev_S

Dell Social Media Responder

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

http://twitter.com/#%21dell

1 Message

July 27th, 2012 19:00

I am having a similar problem with my Inspiron 1440.  I can click with the touchpad the left and right mouse buttons just will not function correctly.  For example, in word documents, it turns my mouse into the pan option and I can scroll up and down.  I can't use the left or the right mouse buttons as intended at all.  I have tried downloading the drivers for the touchpad again and I have checked the touchpad settings but I've had no luck getting them fixed.  This problem is new since last night (7/26/12) and I haven't used my computer since then (it was on but the lid was shut.)  I am also quite sure that neither of the buttons are stuck since they still function, just not properly.  Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

November 20th, 2013 12:00

I am having pretty much the same issue... it started about a year or so ago and after using a wireless mouse I decided to unplug it and see if there was still an issue... The issue was gone and I was able to use my mouse again without it constantly trying to right click from the left click button... All of a sudden today, in the middle of me using my laptop, I have the issue again... It does the same in safe mode also... Is there really no other resolution other than using an external mouse? Please please help!!

p.s. My touchpad also only displays the right click options...

No Events found!