Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Mouse pointer start drifitng across the screen

I had this problem happen with a I8000, it was with a salesperson who noticed the constant drift of the mouse usually when on the road.

IE: sitting on a plane with it on his lap or in a car where it was on uneven surfaces.

He was on the office working on the laptop at his desk when it started to do it.  I came and looked at it. 

My solution that has so far worked for over a month is to go in to the pointer control and turn off MOUSE ACCELERATION.

Any of you with this problem give it a try and see if it helps at all.  It is worth a shot at the very least.  πŸ˜‰

Highlighted
1 Copper

Yes, about a year ago when mine first started acting up, I did that too (turned off mouse acceleration).   And it seemed to work for a couple of months.  Then when it acted up again I tried un-installing and re-installing synaptics drivers.  And I've tried disabling the pad, and the joystick ... over the past several months I've tried just about everything.  The weird thing is, everything "seems" to work ... for awhile.  Then it comes back.

As I mentioned before in this forum, about six weeks ago now my computer was sent back to Dell and the keyboard was replaced ... since then the problem has not reappeared (yet).  As of tomorrow, I will have a new Inspiron 8600 and this 8100 will pass to a colleague ... hopefully the problem will stay gone, but I have a sneaking suspicion that eventually it will return to haunt me yet again.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Add me to the list, please.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Turn arround for Latitude C610

I experienced the same heratic pointer drifting on my Latitude C610.

At last, I have solved it by :

- 1) installing the last Synaptic driver for Latitude C610 : v7.9.3.A12 (4/8/2004)

-2) disabling the "track stick" in : Configuration > Mouse > Settings

This means that, in my case, the track stick is faulty. The definitive resolution will be to get it replaced by Dell since I prefer to use it rather than the track pad (when I can't use a USB mouse) ...

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi all,

I had this problem with an inspiron 4100 in linux (windows too). Usually it goes away after a while, but tonight it was very annoying. Following the tip of a previous poster I unplugged my USB mouse which immediately resolved the problem. Plugging it back in was no problem either, so it's working again !

Hopefully this will help someone ! Nothing as frustrating as an almost workable pc...

greetings,
Mike
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have tried everything and I have found two solutions. The temporary solution is to just take that rubber thing off the pointer and then jam a pen into it, it seems to stop for a while. The permanent solution is to remove the keyboard (unscrew all screws marked k on the bottom of the laptop) and then pull out the ribbon for the pointer. I administer 8 4000/4100's and everyone of them does it. No new keyboard, software, or firmware has solved this problem.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

My 8600 came out of the box with the berzerk mouse pointer, and it makes no difference whether I use a USB mouse or not. And Dell is unresponsive to me about various issues, even though I have sent them certified mail.

Highlighted
1 Copper

ADD ME TO THE LIST.  My Inspiron 4000 has exactly the same promblems and seems to be affected by flex in the frame.  The cursor shoots off to the edge of the screen until a combination of pressure on the palmrest and tilting the laptop cause it to return.  Re-booting will help, albeit temporarily.  It is incredibly frustrating and I would PAY to have this obvious design flaw fixed!

Message Edited by mmmvegas on 06-04-2004 05:53 PM

Highlighted
1 Copper

Yeah, its definantly the trackstick/navstick/rubber-nubby-thinggy. I disabled mine (in windows, then after a reformat and install of linux for kicks, in linux as well) and it did the trick.

Now if only I could figure a way you get my DEL key and down key to not randomly work or not... πŸ˜•  (these are the ONLY problems i've ever had with this system... exept that one battery of two toasted itself... and then later, the AC adaptor... which i still need to replace... πŸ˜• )

Message Edited by AceSmythe on 06-22-2004 02:05 PM

2 Iron

Re: Mouse pointer start drifting across the screen

Just thought I'd mention that I've had to make use of a Toshiba laptop recently. It has a track stick and mouse pad. I use the track stick a lot and it also causes the mouse pointer to drift, just as it does on my Inspiron. So it's not an uncommon problem. However, I used a track stick with an IBM laptop, many years ago, and never had the problem.