Highlighted
Bob Crables
1 Copper

Multi-Moniters

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any way to connect 3 external monitors to my Dell Latitude E6500 laptop or 2 external monitors with the laptop being a display.

I am currently connected to 2 external monitors by VGA and DVI cables and my computer screen is black.

I have:

• 4 Dell Latitude D610s (one of them has a power issue)
  • 2 2007FP Dell computer monitors
  • 1 Dell Latitude D820
  • 1 docking station for my Latitude E6500 laptop
  • Various cords and cables
  • 4 docking stations for my other latitude laptops
  • 1 Dell Dimension 300 computer tower (Broken Motherboard)
  • 1 HP M700 computer monitor (I don't want to use it but I will if I have to)
  • Plugs for all my laptops (2 for the Latitude E6500 laptop)

My docking station has (video ports):

• 2 DVI ports
  • 1 VGA port
  • 2 HDMI ports
  • 1 S-Video port

Here are some questions that I want to find out about:

• Do I need to get a USB to VGA connector? 
  • Is there a third party software that lets me have 3 monitors?
  • Is there a setting in Windows 7 that lets me do this?
  • Do I need to upgrade the hardware in my laptop (with my other laptops)?
  • Do I need to change the connections I am using?
  • Is it possible with this laptop?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DELL-Maureen F
1 Nickel

RE: Multi-Moniters

Hello Bob,

There shouldn't be a problem connecting your Latitude E6500 with 2 external and the internal screen. Three external monitors is not possible.  You will need the NVidia card and Optimus will need to be enabled.  Also, one of the external monitors will have to be set as the primary screen.  If you are using the docking station, be sure that none of the connectors are on the same channel as any other connectors, which means that they are not stacked on top of each other.
Here is a Dell link for troubleshooting multiple monitor issues and configuration recommendations:  http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=gen&doc... 
Here is a short video on installing three monitors with NVidia:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfKJPfp1hcA

To address your specific questions:
•Do I need to get a USB to VGA connector? You should be able to use the standard connectors for this configuration.
•Is there a third party software that lets me have 3 monitors?  The Latitude E6500 does not require any additional software for 3 monitors. 
•Is there a setting in Windows 7 that lets me do this?  The settings are shown in the above video.
•Do I need to upgrade the hardware in my laptop (with my other laptops)?  Does your Latitude E6500 have the NVidia video card installed?  If so, you should be good to go.
•Do I need to change the connections I am using?  The current connectors are not listed, but what you have should work as long as they are not on the same channel.
•Is it possible with this laptop?  Yes, it is possible with the Latitude E6500.

Please let us know if you continue to have issues with the configuration.
~Maureen
#iwork4dell

DELL-Maureen F

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos