Highlighted
ampersandwich
1 Copper

Multiple Failing Hard Drives

This just seems baffling to me. I've owned my Inspiron 7737 for a year now, and I'm looking at my third failed hard drive within that period. really, the first one failed in september, so I'm looking at three failures within 4 months.

My real question is why are they wanting to replace my hard drive AGAIN? The best their support teams could offer is either I wait for my FOURTH hard drive, or I send my laptop in to be looked at and I don't get it back for five business days. How many hard drives do they have to install on the the thing to realize the hard drives are not the issue? what kind of sense does it make for them to keep replacing these things? It really just feels like they're trying to make the thing work up until my warranty expires so they can wash their hands of it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ieee488
5 Rhenium

RE: Multiple Failing Hard Drives

If you want them to come to your place of work for service that is a different and more expensive warranty.

0 Kudos
ampersandwich
1 Copper

My issue isn't really that they want me to send in the laptop. my issue is that their primary concern is replacing the hard drive and calling that the fix, even though there is a clear pattern of failing hard drives that would, at least to me, hint that there is an issue beyond the hard drives themselves. Even the option to send it in I was told that they are going to replace the hard drive, and from there test if they see any other issues that might merit more work. That to me seems silly, since these hard drives are lasting a month or so, I don't really feel like keeping it a day or two to "test" is going to return many results.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The problem is that Dell has no control over how the system is used -- unlike other component failures, hard drive failures are usually environmental in origin.  They fail from excess heat or vibration/shock most commonly.

If the system is running abnormally warm - or is moved often with the drive spinning -- that could easily be the cause of the failure.  

0 Kudos