Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2014 02:00

My DELL XPS 15Z screen issue.

My Dell XPS 15z model laptop display screen is suddenly turning to noising with vertical and horizontal scattered color lines. This is happening every 15 to 30 min and when the mouse cursor is activating after automatically resuming the screen normally. Previous year Aug, my warranty period was over and I have faced so many problems with this laptop in warranty period. I went service center in Chennai, India and no use to recover my problem. Please help me on this and I am disappointing with this laptop as I have more expectations with this before purchase.

87 Posts

June 6th, 2015 17:00

Does it happen only while on battery? If so, try the following:

Right click on desktop > Graphics properties > Display > Set Refresh Rate to 60p Hz

Then

Power > Power Source: On battery > Uncheck Display Refresh Rate Switching.

The reason why you ran into this is probably that Windows automatically installed a generic display driver.

21 Posts

February 24th, 2014 12:00

I guess you upgraded to windows 8.1? In that case, your Quickset application is causing the screen problems. This only happens when using the laptop on battery and never when pluged in. Your options is either to uninstall Quickset or wait for dell to update Quickset to support windows 8.1, which dosn`t look so promising.

14 Posts

February 25th, 2014 09:00

Hi CIC78,

Thanks for respond.

Genius !!

Yes, Exactly what you said is going on my laptop. I was upgraded to Windows 8 (Not Win8.1, yet to update) from factory installed Win7 and now using. What will be the impact if I uninstall Quickset application from my laptop? Where can I find the updated version of Quickset application from DELL?

21 Posts

February 25th, 2014 11:00

I doubt Dell will put any efforts in updating Quickset for this system. But  you could try to enlighten the support team  or quickset developers about the issue and maybe they do something about it.

1 Message

February 25th, 2014 17:00

The exact same thing is happening with my laptop, also after upgrading to 8.1. However, I can't seem to find Quickset anywhere on my computer. It's not listed as a program and isn't running as a process at startup. Is it possible it's hidden somewhere else?

14 Posts

February 25th, 2014 23:00

I can find the Quickset application for Windows 8 in below link. I will go to try with my laptop and will see the difference.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15z?driverId=CV6WD&osCode=W864&fileId=3156620118&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AP

2 Posts

March 16th, 2014 20:00

Yeah, exactly the same issue with me. 

Can I just uninstall quickset? What impact will it have... I have the latest version installed anyway.

I have no hope of Dell bothering with this issue as they never bothered to update the cypress touchpad drivers either a while ago when Windows 8 released. This laptop cost over a grand at launch... Ridiculous. Lack of support is astounding. Making me rethink about buying Dell again as they drop support of previous products as soon as new models are released.

5 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 04:00

You absolute genius. I have had this issue for months !! Googled everything and couldn't find a solution. Even called Dell and they said it could be software related and sent them a video similar to the one attached. This has been driving me absolutely crazy!! Great to see some people out there who know there stuff. Dell = pointless help!

76 Posts

May 10th, 2014 10:00

Note to my post - to clarify, the distorted screen in my case ALSO often occurred with moving the mouse cursor and resume.

76 Posts

May 10th, 2014 10:00

I had a very similar problem with my 15z, and discovered it was a bad wireless card. The screen looked nearly identical to the video in the post. Try disabling the wireless card via device manager first, or to make sure, remove the wireless card from the motherboard. (It is likely an intel 6230N card, though could be a 7260.). In my case, I swapped RAM, Hard drive, and battery as well as clean OS installs, but with no success. It was changing out the wireless card that solved the problem! If disabling the wireless card solves the problem, replace it with another wireless card. Fortunately, they are readily available and not too expensive (about 25-30 USD)

76 Posts

May 11th, 2014 06:00

UPDATE....... It is NOT the wireless card. The 15z did work a few days in a row,, and I thought I had it fixed!!.. But nooooo... So I am still trying to find out what is the problem......

14 Posts

May 12th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for all your responding  !!

Still i don't know, why the Dell people are hiding from this issue? I hope at least the forum moderator should respond to this issue as several their customers are suffering with this problem. Waiting for help.

76 Posts

May 17th, 2014 06:00

I have been working on the same problem for a bit now and,, MIGHT have found the problem. I have been installing chipset drivers 'newer' than the ones Dell released for the 15z in the installs. But I changed that and installed the Dell released Win8/15z chipset drivers, and the system has been working without any screen problem for some days now! Specifically, the install program asked whether to overwrite with the 'older' drivers, and that was done. The Non-Dell win8/15z drivers installed (for an 8.1 install) are the 525M driver from Nvida, and HD3000 graphics driver from Intel. I did updgrade to the 7260 wireless card in this unit, and the 7260 drivers from intel are installed. 'System level' drivers such as chipset, accelerometer, etc are ALL from the Dell W8/15z website. The change that seemed to solve the problem for me was the Dell provided chipset and basic hardware drivers. Still monitoring the results, but this has by far been the longest run without any screen hiccups.

August 19th, 2014 11:00

Hi Ken, Did the chipset driver rollback work? I updated to the newest Intel graphic drivers in May (not previously released for 8.1) and no dice.

76 Posts

September 6th, 2014 06:00

The 15z has a hardware problem as I have since discovered.

Tried win8, win7, various drivers and OS settings.

The screen distortion tends to kick in with USB activity. It can be stopped for a short while by gently twisting the framework of the keyboard/case assembly. So I think a cable, or solder joint has let loose.

I have had it apart several times checking various components and cable connections, but can find nothing so far.

It may be something to do with the power supply - when it is likely to go in and out of the distortion mode, I see various low level variations in backlight intensity seemingly moving up and down the screen. When its working ok, the backlight is steady.

Bummer, it is (was) a nice machine,

No Events found!