8 Krypton

RE: My DELL XPS 15Z screen issue.

Jump to solution
UPDATE....... It is NOT the wireless card. The 15z did work a few days in a row,, and I thought I had it fixed!!.. But nooooo... So I am still trying to find out what is the problem......
0 Kudos
Nath RG
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Thanks for all your responding  !!

Still i don't know, why the Dell people are hiding from this issue? I hope at least the forum moderator should respond to this issue as several their customers are suffering with this problem. Waiting for help.

8 Krypton

Jump to solution
I have been working on the same problem for a bit now and,, MIGHT have found the problem. I have been installing chipset drivers 'newer' than the ones Dell released for the 15z in the installs. But I changed that and installed the Dell released Win8/15z chipset drivers, and the system has been working without any screen problem for some days now! Specifically, the install program asked whether to overwrite with the 'older' drivers, and that was done. The Non-Dell win8/15z drivers installed (for an 8.1 install) are the 525M driver from Nvida, and HD3000 graphics driver from Intel. I did updgrade to the 7260 wireless card in this unit, and the 7260 drivers from intel are installed. 'System level' drivers such as chipset, accelerometer, etc are ALL from the Dell W8/15z website. The change that seemed to solve the problem for me was the Dell provided chipset and basic hardware drivers. Still monitoring the results, but this has by far been the longest run without any screen hiccups.
0 Kudos
laura.anderson
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Hi Ken, Did the chipset driver rollback work? I updated to the newest Intel graphic drivers in May (not previously released for 8.1) and no dice.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

The 15z has a hardware problem as I have since discovered.

Tried win8, win7, various drivers and OS settings.

The screen distortion tends to kick in with USB activity. It can be stopped for a short while by gently twisting the framework of the keyboard/case assembly. So I think a cable, or solder joint has let loose.

I have had it apart several times checking various components and cable connections, but can find nothing so far.

It may be something to do with the power supply - when it is likely to go in and out of the distortion mode, I see various low level variations in backlight intensity seemingly moving up and down the screen. When its working ok, the backlight is steady.

Bummer, it is (was) a nice machine,

0 Kudos
mcpat1993
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This was not the case with me. I uninstalled Quickset yet the problem remains.

0 Kudos
melvinwigg88
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I too installed an oem version of Windows 8.1 on my Dell XPS 15Z laptop and have the same problems your are

having with the screen. I installed dells Windows 8 drivers but I still have the same problem. I think Dell wants us

to buy their new updated Dell XPS 15 (9530) laptop which cost close to $2,000.00 dollars. Windows 8.1 is way

faster than Windows 7 so I'm going to keep it and hope one day Dell will find it in their hearts to develop the

drivers for the Dell XPS 15Z  Windows 8.1 install.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I noticed that I have this exact issue when I install Intel HD Graphics driver from Intel.

But even with Dell drivers, I constantly get slight flickering on the top of the screen while on battery, flickering in the Welcome screen, flickering while watching videos on Potplayer whether I'm on battery or on AC. And on top of that, very slow screen launch after Windows loads up.

This issue made me roll back to WIndows 7

0 Kudos
bhakti_das
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I started getting the weird screen about 2 weeks after i got Windows 8.1 Pro. The thing is that it messes up a lot only when a window goes full screen or if it touches the border of the screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
melvinwigg88
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Lower your refresh rate. When I installed Windows 8.1 OEM version on my Dell XPS 15z laptop I was getting a fuzzy screen. Like the screen was malfunctioning. I was about to revert back to Windows 7 when I lower my refresh rate from 60 to 40 and it WORKED. You don't know how happy I was. 

So Bhakti try that and see what happens.