Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2012 13:00

My Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 won't boot. What do I do?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7. I try to turn on my computer, it goes through the Dell logo screen and comes up to a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the upper left corner and will not go any further. I have pushed F2 and F12 during the Dell logo screen, but nothing there will help me in anyway. I have run the diagnostics for my computer, but it reports no errors, everything passes. I have also tried hitting the F8 and Ctrl+F11 keys during the Dell logo screen, but neither of these do anything, I have the OS disc for reinstallation, but because of the computer not going past the black screen with the white blinking cursor in the upper left corner, I cannot reinstall Windows because it will not restart correctly. What do I do?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 28th, 2012 13:00

If you have not run the extended (takes a couple of hours) hard drive test, that's first. F12 at powerup.  IF the drive passes the extended test, then you will likely be faced with a manual install of Windows.  Start by ordering a Windows disc:

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

677 Posts

July 30th, 2012 09:00

Hi Gonderalf,

Welcome to the community

I am sorry for the incovinence caused. Since you have run a diagnostic test on the system and all the tests have passed we have 2 options for having the system fixed.

1. Doing an operating system reinstallation.

2. Taking your system back to the factory defaults.

Both the process is going to erase data on the system. I suggest you to go ahead and do a factory reset as it is a simple process compared to Operating system reinstallation. Please find below the link to be referred to do a factory reset.

http://dell.to/gB7c4b

Please revert for any clarifications

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Harish_R

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

1 Message

October 24th, 2012 11:00

I am having the same problem and have run all the diagnostics and the restores and the fixes using the Win7 reinstallation CD and nothing has fixed the problem.  I don't want to do a reiinstallatoin since that wipes out the files (can't do a backup since can't get to Windows) and the restore to factory image isn't any of the options i"ve seen, so that apparently isn't an option either.  Why isn't there a boot cd that brings up DOS so a backup can be done.? I did the open Dos session but it only shows the X directory, so how do I back up the C drive?

Thanks.

677 Posts

October 25th, 2012 02:00

Hi tkinge1,

Please let me know if all the diagnostics pass or if there was an error during the test. Also i would like to know of you had run the extended diagnostics test.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. This will help me to check the system details and replace any hardware components in case of failure.

I would suggest you to get in touch with a local technician for data backup.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

1 Message

November 15th, 2012 18:00

I am having a problem with Windows Vista. Just the other night, I put my laptop into hibernate mode and went to sleep. I woke up and saw my computer in the login screen( i think it finished an overnight automatic update)/. I closed my computer. When I came back, the login screen was frozen so I tried to restart it. When I went to restart , my laptop turned on and started to load but it wouldn't reach the login screen. It says there has been a error with either the hard-drive or new software. i have tried doing the start up repair but it just goes to a black screen with only a mouse cursor. I ran an iniital diagnostics test and it said I had 0142 error. What should I do?

1.1K Posts

November 15th, 2012 21:00

Hi blazer555,

0142 error code indicates the hard drive failure.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2012 12:00

I'm having the same problem as Gonderalf, I've done the same things without any success.  I have no important files to lose, so that's not a concern.

1.1K Posts

December 4th, 2012 00:00

Hi ismarc3,

Please share the system model. Did you try to run the diagnostics on your system? If not, below are the steps:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using up/down arrow keys and press enter.

Please let me know if you get an error code/message.

In case the diagnostics pass, check the system's performance in 'Safe Mode with Networking':

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using arrow keys and press enter.

5 Posts

December 9th, 2012 15:00

i am having the same problem where i cant boot, i tried reinstalling windows 7 but i cant go past the boot screen with that blinking cursor. i did the diagnosis and everything passed i tried the f8 but that does nothing, just makes a beeping noise...

1.1K Posts

December 11th, 2012 23:00

Hi Links1964,

Please share the system model. How many beeps do you hear in a series? I will recommend you to drain the flea power and see if that makes a difference:

• Disconnect all the external peripherals.
  • Unplug AC Adapter and also take off the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds.
  • Connect the AC Adapter back, restart the system and check if the system is working fine.

If not, try the below steps to re install Windows 7:

Note: Re installing windows will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.

• Insert the windows Install DVD into the DVD drive, and then restart your computer. When the message ‘press any key to boot from the CD or DVD ...’ appears, press a key to continue booting to the DVD.
  • After Windows 7 setup loads, confirm the language, time, currency and keyboard method settings are correct then click 'Next'.
  • On the windows 7 Installation page, click 'Install Now'.
  • Review the terms and click 'I accept the license terms' to proceed.
  • On the 'Which type of installation do you want?' Window, click Custom (advanced).
  • On the 'Where do you want to install Windows' window, click on "Drive options" (Advanced).
  • Highlight each partition and click on "Delete". Once all the partitions are deleted, select this unallocated space and click 'Next'.

Note: Your computer will restart several times during installation.

• The next couple of screens allow you to personalize and customize Windows 7.
  • Once you see the desktop, you are ready to move on to the next step.

5 Posts

December 12th, 2012 09:00

hi

thanks for the help at least I'm able to turn the computer on after re-installing windows. but now my issue is that i cant access any of my USB or wireless ports... i think i need the drivers. but how do i get them on the computer if i cant get on the internet. btw my model number is  Inspiron N7110.

im going to try re-installing windows 7 to see if that helps.

1.1K Posts

December 13th, 2012 03:00

Hi Links1964,

I will recommend you to install the drivers on your system in a proper sequnce. Below are the drivers:

Note: Please intall the drivers in the below sequence.

Note: Below are the steps to install a driver.

1. Intel Management Engine: http://dell.to/TWNWhh
  2. Huron River: http://dell.to/TQp2fP
  3. USB 3.0: http://dell.to/TQp8Ut
  4. Card Reader: http://dell.to/12mTJyu

Note: Install the video driver depending on the video card installed on your system.

1. nVIDIA Geforce GT 525M: http://dell.to/ZjSd1j
  2. Intel 3000: http://dell.to/UbnjSM
  1. Click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA 
  2. Enter your system's Service tag and select the operating system.
  3. Go to 'Network' and click on the appropriate wireless driver for your system.
  4. Click on 'Download File' and select 'Single-file download'.
  5. Click on 'Continue'.
  6. Click on 'Save' and save the driver on the desktop.
  7. Right click on the driver from the desktop and click on 'Run as administrator'.
  8. Follow the on screen instructions to install the driver. (Follow the same steps to install the above drivers)

Restart your system after installing all the drivers.

Please reply for any further questions.

5 Posts

December 13th, 2012 12:00

Thanks a lot. I figured what the problem was. I installed a 64bit version of windows instead of a 32 bit. I updated to windows 8 pro 32 bit and everything seems to be working fine now. do I still need to install all those drivers, and are they compatible with windows 8 32 bit? also how can I setup a recovery partition on my hard drive like what was there before?

Thank you 

1.1K Posts

December 14th, 2012 05:00

Hi Links1964,

The above drivers are compatible with Windows 7. Please paste the screen shot of the Device Manager to check if the system require any missing driver(s). Also, open disk management and let me know if you see the recovery partition.

Please reply for any further questions.

5 Posts

December 20th, 2012 08:00

Based on what I have noticed the recovery partition was deleted, how can a I recreate one...  when I start up the computer and press F8 nothing happens...

No Events found!