Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2012 13:00

My Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 won't boot. What do I do?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7. I try to turn on my computer, it goes through the Dell logo screen and comes up to a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the upper left corner and will not go any further. I have pushed F2 and F12 during the Dell logo screen, but nothing there will help me in anyway. I have run the diagnostics for my computer, but it reports no errors, everything passes. I have also tried hitting the F8 and Ctrl+F11 keys during the Dell logo screen, but neither of these do anything, I have the OS disc for reinstallation, but because of the computer not going past the black screen with the white blinking cursor in the upper left corner, I cannot reinstall Windows because it will not restart correctly. What do I do?

1.1K Posts

December 21st, 2012 03:00

Hi Links1964,

Thank you for the reply. The screen shot of the Device Manager shows that all the drivers are installed properly. The screen shot of Disk Management is not very clear, however, it appears that the system does not have one. The recovery partition in Windows 8 cannot be accessed from F8 menu.  

It would not be possible to re-create the factory installed recovery partition, however, there is a possible way to create the recovery partition of the current image of your system. You may install few basic applications which you would like to be a part of the recovery partition before creating it. By doing this, you will always have an option to revert back your system to the customized state. Below are the steps to create the recovery partition on Windows 8:

1. Click on the link: http://bit.ly/UUjIs0
  2. Click on 'Download'.
  3. Install the setup and follow the on screen instructions.
  4. It will ask to restart the system.
  5. Once you agree to restart, the setup will resume after the system restarts.

It will take a snap shot of the current image of your system and create a customized recovery partition on the hard drive.

Please reply for any further questions.

5 Posts

December 21st, 2012 13:00

thanks alot.

when i purchased this computer the office softwares were installed and i didnt get any disks with it... when i wiped the computer they all got erased... i have a tag number and everything for the pc, is there a way to get any of those softwares back?

Thank you

1.1K Posts

December 24th, 2012 04:00

Hi Links1964,

If you received Microsoft office, you would have received MPI card which has the product key to activate Microsoft office. Intall a trial version of microsoft office and activate it with the product key.

In case you received your system with Microsoft office starter, it cannot be re installed since it is a complimentary software.

You may re-install other factory installed applications from 'My Dell Downloads':

• Click on the following link: http://bit.ly/OG7TX1
  • Select your country in the drop down and click on “Continue”.
  • If you already have an account on the Dell's website, please use the same user name and password or else, you can create a new account by clicking on "Create a new account".
  • Please go through the terms and conditions and check the box which says “I have read, understand, and agree with the terms and conditions of the "My Dell Downloads" website”.
  • Click on “Register System”.
  • You will get a list of factory installed software.
  • You will get an option to install Dell Webcam central from the list of applications available.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

January 19th, 2013 11:00

ismarc3, I'm having the same problem - I have restarted, tapped F12, highlighted Diagnostics - I get error code 2000-0146 - help!

2 Posts

February 16th, 2013 13:00

I am having a similar problem.  My Inspiron 1545 was running slowly, so I restarted it and it failed.  I was given the option to do "start up repair "- 30 minutes later it was still running.  

Next I restarted the computer again and choose "start normally".  It wouldn't start windows and the screen was blank/black.  

Then I restarted and struck F12.  I am running full diagnostics and these are the errors so far:

1. Error Code 0F00:133C
    msg: Disk - No Suitable disk media present

2. Error Code 4400:0011A
    msg: SC51_0_000_DISK_GENERIC_MULTICARD_ Target not ready

3. Error Code 0F00: 1344
    msg: Disk_Block 203750402 can't red, replace Disk 

4. Error Code 0F00: 1344
    msg: Disk_Block 2037504022 can't red, replace Disk  

5. Error Code: 0F00: 075D
    msg: Disk - D5T Self-test Read Error

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 16th, 2013 14:00

Errors 1 and 2 are benign - you don't have a writeable CD in the drive, nor a flash card to test.

Errors 3-5 are show the source of your problem - you have a bad hard drive.  You'll need a new 2.5" 9.5 mm or slimmer SATA notebook drive.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2013 16:00

I was afraid of that.  Any chance I can recover what's on my hard disk?  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 16th, 2013 16:00

It's possible - remove the drive, mount it in an external USB case and attach it to a working system by USB.  See what you can recover.

2 Posts

March 24th, 2013 11:00

Hello, I am trying to follow the instructions below, but when I press F8, nothing happens. I held the button down for 10 mins and nothing happens. I tried this several times and nothing happens. Now what? I ran the system check and all is good, and I went to follow the instructions below. Please help!

To restore your computer to the original factory installation, follow these steps:

1. Turn on the computer, after the Dell logo press F8 key repeatedly until the
    Advanced Boot Options menu (Advanced Startup Options).
2. In Advanced Boot Options, highlight Repair Your Computer and press Enter.
3. Click Next and logon to the administrator account in the computer.
4. Click Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe Options; Follow the directions provided.

April 4th, 2013 17:00

I have a 1545 i hit f8 and advance boot setting comes up but NO repair my computor or restore

April 4th, 2013 17:00

i have hit f8 I get the advance menu but no repair my computer comes up

1 Message

April 22nd, 2013 08:00

I have fixed this problem on at least 20 Dell Laptops by first removing the ram, cleaning both sides with a pencil eraser. Then discharging the residual power from the laptop by removing the battery and AC adapter and holding down the power button for at least 20 seconds. This works for the blinking cursor no boot problem without an error code.

June 13th, 2013 15:00

I got the same error how do I fix it?

1 Message

July 23rd, 2013 00:00

Hello,

The same thing happened to my computer. I have the dell datasafe local backup. But when I try to do the whole fatory restore it doesnt show up on the tool screen. The last one only says Command Prompt. I do not have the Dell Emergency Backup and whatnot. Please help!

1 Message

July 23rd, 2013 06:00

Update -

Turns out my laptop was toast.  I did manage to get my files off my hard drive using a disk reader I bought off Amazon for $30.  

No Events found!