Elison
1 Copper

Re: My Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 won't boot. What do I do?

Update -

Turns out my laptop was toast.  I did manage to get my files off my hard drive using a disk reader I bought off Amazon for $30.  

0 Kudos

My aunt is having a similar problem. Her Inspiron 1545, running Windows 7,  will begin start up, but then reaches a black, blank screen with only the cursor. With the fact that she has stored many important photos on the computer, as well as the majority of her music, we are reluctant to reinstall Windows and lose all of that. Is there any possible way to back up her things without being able to reach the login screen or any such thing?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Remove the hard drive and mount it in an external case - attach it to a working system and back up the data.

Example:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Dell-Rajesh R
5 Tungsten

Hi,

Refer the following link which has troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue:

http://dell.to/16YSfQb

I recommend to contact a local technician or drive savers to back up data.

I have provided a link below for drive savers data backup:

http://dell.to/16ugNim

Click on the above link and select the options accordingly. They would help you in backing up data.

You may also run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and Power button simultaneously. Let the diagnostics run.

Let me know the status.

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

0 Kudos
Andreux27
1 Copper

RE: My Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 won't boot. What do I do?

I have a Inspiron 1545 win 7. F8 option never worked. I did used the F12 option, run the diagnostics and afterwards the booting options appeared (I didn't even have to run the full diagnostics).

It seems on Win 7 you need to run diagnostics in order to be able to access the safe mode booting options!

0 Kudos
Linda Harris
1 Copper

All I have to say is this... you're a genius and thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!  I thought my Inspiron 1545 was gone forever!  Whew, wow, cannot believe my computer's life has been restored.  It has been sitting in the basement "dead" for a few years now.  Whoaaaa, I'm super excited.

Linda

0 Kudos
sdriffle
1 Copper

I have a dell inspiron M5040 that also keeps rebooting.  I have ran the diagnostics and it says everything passes.  It will not let me do the f8 to recover.  I have tried EVERYTHING I can possibly think of but still just loads the dell logo, cursor at top left corner and reboots.  Nothing is working. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TLS777
1 Copper

<Admin Note:image with service tag removed per privacy policy~RK>

I have not used this laptop in 5 years. I have an ACER that has a broken hard drive and screen. But I do currently use my two desktop computers for work. I would like to use my laptop to travel with as well, however, since I can not remember the password I set 5 years ago, I cannot get past this screen. When I boot my screen this is the page I get. I press F2, F8 and F12 with still no hope. Help Please.

Any suggestions?

TLS777

0 Kudos
TLS777
1 Copper

Would you need a password for this?

0 Kudos
BrittBratt19
1 Copper

Hello- I hope this messages finds you doing well. My name is Brittany, I own a Dell Inspiron 1545 and am having MAJOR problems with it lately. I've been on the dell support forums religiously attempting to figure out how to fix my laptop and noticed you've helped a substantial number of people with various problems, but I still cannot get mine to work. I was hoping you could friend me, and help me fix mine? Then we can start a forum to help others with this odd problem. Thank you so much in advance and please have a glorious day.

-Britt

0 Kudos