Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2011 03:00

My Dell Laptop is under Warranty but I am having problems with registration ! Please help.

I bought a second hand Dell Studio laptop from a local private seller about a year and a half ago, the laptop was sold as being under warranty and I of course immediately checked the service code and it was as the seller had said, still under warranty.

The laptop came in its original box so I am very sure it was all above board and legit, ie, not stolen or anything.

Since then I do not have the box and can not find my hand written receipt I got from the seller.

The laptop has now developed a problem with the hinges as in the case is starting to come apart near the hinges of the laptop and I am pretty sure this should not be happening as its been well looked after and in pretty good condition otherwise.

I promptly called up technical support and tried to arrange a repair under the warranty but I hit a brick wall because I did not register the laptop immediately after I purchased it and I now cant remember the previous owners name, email (we never spoke via email) or the place they purchased it from.

I am unable to transfer ownership or register the machine now so what are my options if any ?

I tried to register it a few days ago and attempted to guess the store it was bought from and of course this was no good and did not work.

I purchased this laptop for two main reasons, the warranty and the fact that it is a Dell laptop and I was under the impression Dell were a good brand with great customer support .

Can someone please help me and advise me on what I should do ?

Many thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 04:00

Since just about every other manufacturer will do the same thing (the registered owner must transfer the warranty ) --IF they even offer that option (there are manufacturers who will not honor the warranty OTHER THAN to the original purchaser) -- be EXCEEDINGLY careful if you ever buy a secondhand system again.

It is far more common than not that the factory warranty applies ONLY to the original purchaser.  Dell is among the few who offer the option of transferring the warranty at all - so, while you may think the situation you've created for yourself is "disgraceful" - at least you'll know next time, to verify the option of transferring the ownership BEFORE you buy.

4 Posts

I collected the laptop myself from the seller and did not keep a record of the address however I did drive down the road yesterday but could not for the life of me remember what door it was.

The seller may well have moved home for all I know.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You then have an "orphan" -- no warranty.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 08:00

I wonder what part of the small print all of this was hidden in and if the original purchaser was clearly told this was the case.

Its a joke, you can dress it up as much as you wish but these are what I suspect the facts are.

1. A premium price was paid for a long warranty

2. The original purchaser would not have been told this in plain and simple terms and I can almost guarantee it was hidden in a ton of small print in the hopes that he/she was not made aware of this.

3. I purchased a high spec laptop and when I checked online it clearly stated it was under warranty.

4. No where on the page when I checked the warranty did I see anything clearly stating that if this is not the original purchaser and the transfer is not made etc etc we will leave you high and dry and spend the expensive extended warranty money on cookies while your left with a faulty laptop.

5. Dell will never make this information abundantly clear because as usual large companies are all about profit.

You may well be right about other companies not allowing the transfer but this still does not help me at all in regards to this (originaly a very expensive laptop) faulty product being fixed.

Yes I should have kept the receipt and the original sellers details but much like many many other people in this world who have a life and cannot always hold onto every scrap of paper or remember every specific detail about everything we do I have failed to do this and now I am stuck with a faulty product.

This whole thing implies that I or the original seller have stolen this laptop and that is a disgraceful assumption and I am astounded that there is no secondary method of proving that I am indeed the owner of this laptop and the expensive long term warranty should be honored, these obstacles I am facing now should have an alternative way of overcoming for people like myself in this situation because I am pretty sure I am not the only one left with an expensive damaged Dell product who has faced this and has no options at all.

I would be more than happy to go to my local police station and take my laptop with me and get them to do a full nationwide search to see if this has been stolen because that is the only fair reason I can see as to why the warranty should not be upheld. But I suppose the police confirming that the laptop has not been stolen and therefore I must be the legal owner is probably not good enough for Dell as they may have to pay money for something their small print has saved them from paying.

I also wonder how long this forum thread will remain as it may actually bring this matter to the attention of more people who might have faced this problem and mean Dell may have to pay more cash than they would like for repairs.

This is not the first Dell laptop I have bought, in-fact I have been buying brand new Dell products for about 12 years and these are almost always top of the line or near top of the line products, all these years I have never once taken up any extended warranty offers and thankfully I have never needed to return a single Dell product within the 12 months standard warranty. I have always had faith in Dell but this experience has put me completely off this company and although I am sure the people at Dell wont care I will not purchase another Dell product and will see what my experiences are with one of your competitors.

These future experiences may be good or bad but I can assure you that no credit card statements or cheque book stubs will ever bear the name of Dell again.

I have walked past higher spec, lower priced products in the past for Dell, now lets see just how good or bad your competition is.

Shame on you Dell !

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 09:00

Every issue you have would have been made moot had you made it a condition of the sale of the system to you, to transfer the ownership - so, complain as you will, you are the cause of your current issue - Dell is not.

They DO allow warranty transfers.  The seller advertised  the warranty was still in force - so, your negligence is the issue - Dell is not the cause here.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 10:00

I understand this however I feel Dell should at very least have a secondary system in place for this type of problem. I absolutely do not think that this problem was the result of any malicious actions and is something that I suspect the seller was not clearly made aware of.

Companies purposely bury this type of information in masses of small print and that is what I have the biggest problem with, are Dell customers not entitled to make what I feel are pretty small mistakes ?

Ever hear the old saying that the customer is always right ? Of course its the customers here who have not got our magnifying glasses out and read every single piece of small print but for Dell not to have a system for people like us (we are certainly not alone) to fall back on.

They took the money and if we made one mistake we are left high and dry, this is not how it should be in my opinion.

Proof of legitimate ownership should be all that was required in this case and that I am certain I could provide even if it does take weeks and I have to contact my local police station.

As I have never taken out extended warranty in the past its extremely understandable that I was completely unaware of the transfer issue when I bought the item.

So no, Dell is not the cause directly but could easily be much more accommodating to customers making what I feel is a genuine and rather minor mistake.

Why is it exactly that the warranty should need to be transferred anyway ? Its the product we need repaired, not the individual.

No Events found!