Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2013 16:00

My Dell inspiron 17r with windows 8 didnt boot from today morning. It just throws an error.

My Dell inspiron 17R with windows 8 didn't boot from today morning. I did the diagnostic test with the help of CC representative. There is no problem with the hard drive. I have to re- install the OS as per the discussion with CC representative. I have lots of important files in my PC. If I reinstall the OS, will my files get deleted? If so, is there any alternate way to retrieve it?? Please help me. I need all those files. Those are very important to me. I really appreciate your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 24th, 2013 16:00

changemyworld,

Download Knoppix Live CD or DVD and boot from it. You then then save your files to an external flash drive and burn them to DVD's

Did you try Windows 8 shutdown to bring up troubleshooting mode

Rick

November 24th, 2013 20:00

My system does not boot at all. How do I download Knoppix? If I reinstall the OS all my files would be lost. I want to retrieve those files even before reinstalling the windows 8 OS. Please help me.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 24th, 2013 20:00

changemyworld,

Download Knoppix on another computer and burn a DVD.

Insert the DVD in the DVD rom, then boot the computer and press F12 at startup. Boot from DVD rom. It will then boot the system. You can then get your files from your user account and put them on a flash drive.

After you have your files, you can then reinstall the operating system. Since you're under warranty, have Dell Tech Support help you with the installation.

Rick

November 24th, 2013 22:00

Dear Sir,

I don't have another system. Do you have any alternate option? I saved my photos and documents in desktop. How do i retrieve them?

Dell Cc representative told me that they will send a pen drive to re- install the OS. Any options to retrieve the files before re- installing?

November 25th, 2013 13:00

Dear Rick,

I have an external hard disk. Now please tell me the procedure to retrieve my files. 

27 Posts

November 25th, 2013 14:00

Hi ,

Is your system under warranty ?? and was the OS shipped with the system ??

If yes then i would suggest to contact Technical support tram. Warranty support is free but they will no help you backup. So you have to request for a D-USB (Its call ed a Direct USB, Basically dell engineered OS and driver image which has a emergency backup option. ) You have to boot from it and then follow the instructions for backup. It will guide you through backup and then system image recovery. Most of the time the self repair feature fixes teh issue but if not, then you can always have the OS reinstalled.

Let me know the OS shipped and i will post the screenshots for the DUSB recovery.

Regards,

Vembar.J

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2013 18:00

changemyworld,

Did you download and create the Download Knoppix Live CD or DVD?

If yes, then put the dvd in the dvd rom and start the computer. Tap F12 at the Dell Screen and then tell it to boot from DVD rom.

You can then boot to Knoppix .

Locate your files, it's like clicking on my computer and locating your files that way.

C:\Users\(your username)

You should see your pictures folder and the documents and any videos and music you need.

Rick

No Events found!