Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 05-10-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

My Dell laptop will not start up

I have my older Dell laptop that shut down the other day and I thought the battery had just ran all the way out, plugged it in left it to charge and when I went back it would not power up at all. My son's new laptop had this issue and the tech support had me press and F key repeatly and I think either hold down the power button or press it and let go? I wanted to try this with my laptop but can not remember what F key or the trick with the power button. Help please, hoping it's not gone had current work and family pictures on it.

Thanks

Replies (43)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have tried this solution numerous times with no success. When I am able to run startup repair and do so, it says "unspecified changes to system configuration may have caused the problem." I have made no changes recently.
4 Ruthenium

Hi Appieloosa, unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my message. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

4 Ruthenium

Hi Appieloosa,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below, first to release any static power in the laptop that may be causing this issue:

1. Remove the battery and the AC Adapter from the laptop.
2. Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds and release it.
3. Reconnect the battery, AC Adapter and press the Power button.
4. The laptop should power on if the static charge was the cause.

You can press the "Fn" key and the "Power" button to start the hardware diagnostics if the laptop fails to power on after following the steps provided above.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor