Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2013 22:00

My Inspiron laptop will not start up

I have my older Dell laptop that shut down the other day and I thought the battery had just ran all the way out, plugged it in left it to charge and when I went back it would not power up at all. My son's new laptop had this issue and the tech support had me press and F key repeatly and I think either hold down the power button or press it and let go? I wanted to try this with my laptop but can not remember what F key or the trick with the power button. Help please, hoping it's not gone had current work and family pictures on it.

Thanks

1 Message

August 11th, 2014 05:00

Hi, I am having this strange problem. The charger light will go on when I plug in the power cable but when I press the power button, the status lights in the control strip cycle for a few seconds and everything stop. But once in a while, I can boot up the machine but it shuts down again during loading the OS.

I ran the Pre-boot System Assessment Diagnostics (including the full memory test) in one of the successful boot and everything OK, no error code at all. But when it reboots, same problem again.

Releasing any static power by removing the battery, AC adapter and pressing the power key for 30 seconds doesn't help either.

My system is XPS 17 L702X.

Thanks!

1 Message

August 21st, 2014 12:00

yes it worked

but the problem is that now whenever i open my laptop i have to follow the same procedure

any help regarding that please

13 Posts

August 30th, 2014 09:00

Hi, I am having the same symptoms on my XPS 17 L702X

The strange thing here is that it now happens after a motherboard replacement (I only used it a few hours since the replacement). Now it shuts down at the very attempt to power on (screen lits with the Dell logo for only a second then shuts down). (*)

Have you made any progress on your issue ? What was the resolution applied ?

Thanks !

(*) I did the manipulations to discharge static electricity (remove battery, power, press the power-on button for 30secs etc) but the laptop only powers on for two secs, hardly the time for the dell logo to appear on screen (the progress bar just under doesn't start filling) when it suddenly shuts down/powers off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

September 1st, 2014 08:00

Hi I am using dell inspiron N4010... and I'm having a startup problem... means my laptop is not getting started.... the things happened is... after working with my laptop.. I put my laptop in a sleep mode.. after that when tried to star it again its not getting started.... if I press the power button... the button's light is just sparking... I tried everything like the experts says... still its not working... I instantly need my laptop for my college work.. so can you plz give me a solutions of how to recover my laptop... plz needs ur help

THANK YOU...

1 Message

September 1st, 2014 15:00

Well, still can't find a solution. I start having this problem over a year ago and usually I can power up after restarting it a few times. I am not an expert but I don't think it's the motherboard problem because it passed the the Pre-boot System Assessment Diagnostics test.

Not sure but might be related to the wireless card. The very last time it start up successfully, I ran a few programs but as soon as I press fn+f2 to turn on the wireless, it shut down right away.

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 03:00

Good day!

I also have a computer DELL Vostro 200 would like to ask what would be the problem if it has stop working we had it open once and boot quickly then after 2 days when we try opening it, it doesnt boot up the power supply has power though the mother board doesnt work together with the fan..

What does the problem hope you can give me possible solution.

Thanks

1 Message

September 24th, 2014 17:00

Hi ,I am having this problem with my dell vostro 3560 laptop wth windows 8 installed.When I turn on the laptop .it starts but there is no display.You have the lights  of the start button on but no display. pressing other buttons doesn't help at all.

13 Posts

September 25th, 2014 16:00

As the recent posters' reported issues are rather vague, I would advise the recent posters to read the first reply on this thread (from DELL_Rajaht) as it proposes at least some diagnosis method to narronw down any HW issue.

And I would definitely create a new thread with your computer model in the thread title.

Good luck !

PS: as faras I was concerned, I finally returned the laptop to Dell which replaced the MB for the second time in three weeks... nasty issue seemingly ! Now it runs like a breeze again.

1 Message

October 12th, 2014 12:00

Here is how you fix the problem:

1. Unplug everything from every port on your computer

2. Hold down the power button for 20 seconds

3. Plug in the adapter ONLY and power on the device

4. Put the battery back in after it loads.

5. Restart computer

1 Message

December 16th, 2014 10:00

hi

I have the same model and I am having the same issue.

I have tried all the steps mentioned in thread. it had started normally once by just pressing the power button but most times it does not start.

when I keep pressing the power button the LED indicator for charging on laptop blinks.

please help

December 19th, 2014 07:00

I am also having same problem , i did all steps you mentioned still didn't came up .

My power button have a light, and also lights in front the small lights is on except on 2nd from left.

Dell-(N4110)

1 Message

March 7th, 2015 11:00

my laptop may be not shut properly now this is not starting. mine is inspiron 11 ,3000 series window 8.tell me what to do 

1 Message

March 16th, 2015 08:00

I have a Dell computer with the same issues. All of a sudden, it will not power up. I have attempted the "static flea power" fix as well as trying to run diagnostics by pressing the FN-Power button together. Neither solution has corrected the problem. The AC adapter is showing a green light indicating power is coming into the machine but I do not see any of the lights that you might normally see on the machine to indicate it is receiving power of any kind. The machine is an Inspiron 15 (3521, Late 2012).

1 Message

April 5th, 2015 23:00

I have the same problem on mi laptop N5010, I turn off, then, the fan starts going faster. And then just like 15 seconds after I turned on it turns off. Even can't load windows. (Sorry for my bad English)

1 Message

April 19th, 2015 18:00

The steps worked for me. However, press and hold the power button for at least ten seconds while the battery is out. This helps drain built up static charge. Reconnect battery and then on laptop, voila! Problem solved.

No Events found!