Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 05-10-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

My Dell laptop will not start up

I have my older Dell laptop that shut down the other day and I thought the battery had just ran all the way out, plugged it in left it to charge and when I went back it would not power up at all. My son's new laptop had this issue and the tech support had me press and F key repeatly and I think either hold down the power button or press it and let go? I wanted to try this with my laptop but can not remember what F key or the trick with the power button. Help please, hoping it's not gone had current work and family pictures on it.

Thanks

Replies (43)
4 Beryllium

Hi monetw11495,

You may try to power on system just on the battery without the adapter and just on AC adapter without the battery.

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter

Please share the status of LED on the AC adapter.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

Thanks & Regards
Amogh G
#iworkfordell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I did this. It still won't turn on, I even pressed the power button and fn at the samr time it still won't turn on

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dear sir I m using the Dell Laptop Inspiron N 5010

My Laptop battery has got expired from last 6 months and i m not getting time to replace it.So I am using by simply plugging in power.Two days back i was forced to shut my system down but since then whenever i am trying to switch on the system it asks to starts windows normally or by repair. Whichever option i give to the system, it doesn't last more than 30-35 seconds and gets shut down. I have tried more than 50 times by all means.

I tried all of the options as below but all in vain and the problem persists. Please suggest me any concrete solution apart from that given below as these all tactics I have tried

I would suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps which may resolve the issue:

1.Disconnect external peripherals like printers, to check if any of the external devices are causing the issue.

2. Also, perform flea power on the laptop. Remove the AC adapter, battery and any external peripherals connected, now hold the power button down for 10 seconds to drain static power. Restart the system and check if issue is resolved.

3. Check if hard drive gets detected in BIOS. To enter BIOS, shut down the system and keep tapping F2, on the Main screen of BIOS, you will see the status of the hard drive. If it is not detected, I would suggest you to reseat it. Refer to the link for removing and replacing hard drive: http://bit.ly/ZysMdy

4. If the hard drive gets detected in BIOS, try to boot the system to Safe Mode. To boot the computer in Safe Mode, please switch on the computer and start tapping the F8 key which would take you to Advanced Boot Option screen. Using the up and down arrow key, select Safe Mode to boot the computer into Safe Mode.

5. If you are not able to boot to the system in Safe Mode, perform clean boot. Click Start > type msconfig.exe in the Start Search and hit Enter. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and click to clear the Load startup items check box. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and click Disable all. Now restart the computer in normal mode and check.

6. If you are not able to boot the system to Safe Mode, boot to Windows Recovery & try system restore outside windows environment. Refer to the link: http://dell.to/1137HoH

7. The issue still remains run Start Up repair. I would suggest you to run Startup Repair using the Windows CD. Insert the Windows CD and shut down the system. Once you power on keep tapping F12 key to start from CD/DVD. Choose Repair your computer after Windows Loading files. Now select Startup Repair.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Good day

My dell vostro 2521 won't start up. It loads for about 3 seconds then automatically restarts and shuts down then restart over and over. I barely have enough time to read the error message. It happened after I used AVG tune up. It was supposed to restart to complete scan. Please how do I go about it?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have the same problem.   My Dell Inspiron N4010 does this:

• I press the start button
  • The laptop starts, with the Dell logo appearing.
  • Then the progress bar starts to go.
  • At about 3/4 done the laptop shuts down and immediately starts over.

The screen that comes up with the Dell logo and progress bar has two instructions.  F2 Setup and F12 Bott Options.  I have tried doing both in the short time that the laptop is on.  I have also tried the two actions listed above, battery removal andhold start button and Fn.  

Any ssuggestions? 

TThanks for your help. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, I am having this strange problem. The charger light will go on when I plug in the power cable but when I press the power button, the status lights in the control strip cycle for a few seconds and everything stop. But once in a while, I can boot up the machine but it shuts down again during loading the OS.

I ran the Pre-boot System Assessment Diagnostics (including the full memory test) in one of the successful boot and everything OK, no error code at all. But when it reboots, same problem again.

Releasing any static power by removing the battery, AC adapter and pressing the power key for 30 seconds doesn't help either.

My system is XPS 17 L702X.

Thanks!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

yes it worked

but the problem is that now whenever i open my laptop i have to follow the same procedure

any help regarding that please

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, I am having the same symptoms on my XPS 17 L702X

The strange thing here is that it now happens after a motherboard replacement (I only used it a few hours since the replacement). Now it shuts down at the very attempt to power on (screen lits with the Dell logo for only a second then shuts down). (*)

Have you made any progress on your issue ? What was the resolution applied ?

Thanks !

(*) I did the manipulations to discharge static electricity (remove battery, power, press the power-on button for 30secs etc) but the laptop only powers on for two secs, hardly the time for the dell logo to appear on screen (the progress bar just under doesn't start filling) when it suddenly shuts down/powers off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi I am using dell inspiron N4010... and I'm having a startup problem... means my laptop is not getting started.... the things happened is... after working with my laptop.. I put my laptop in a sleep mode.. after that when tried to star it again its not getting started.... if I press the power button... the button's light is just sparking... I tried everything like the experts says... still its not working... I instantly need my laptop for my college work.. so can you plz give me a solutions of how to recover my laptop... plz needs ur help

THANK YOU...

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Well, still can't find a solution. I start having this problem over a year ago and usually I can power up after restarting it a few times. I am not an expert but I don't think it's the motherboard problem because it passed the the Pre-boot System Assessment Diagnostics test.

Not sure but might be related to the wireless card. The very last time it start up successfully, I ran a few programs but as soon as I press fn+f2 to turn on the wireless, it shut down right away.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor