Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2013 21:00

My Inspiron 15 won't turn on

I'm having problems with my laptop. I bought it July 18, 2013. At first the power would take like a minute to turn on, I thought that was normal so I saw nothing wrong with it. Then it wouldn't turn on, I looked online for some answers. Found one that told me to remove the battery and hold the power button for about 30 seconds to reset the RAM. That worked for a bit. Recently I would have to repeat that process a few times. I got it to turn on Sunday 9/22 but today on the 23 it won't turn on. I've tried for an hour to get it to turn on by resetting the RAM. I've tried plugging it into the charger, the green light on the charger appears but the charging light on the laptop doesn't. I don't know if there's something else I should try, if its something I might have done to it or I just have a defective laptop. I unfortunately don't have a warranty on it , but if you could tell me how much it will cost I will be sure to get it ASAP. Thank you for any help you might give me.

September 23rd, 2013 22:00

Hi Fried Mind,

Inspiron 15 comes in 7 different variants. Please share the exact system model.

You may try removing the battery and turning on the system with only the adapter connected.

Also, try running the diagnostics by following the steps below:

Disconnect the battery from the system, hold down the power button and connect the AC adapter with the power button pressed to see if the diagnostics begin.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 23:00

I'm having the same issue with my laptop. It just powers off. I tried taking out the battery and plugging it thru the power cable. It comes of for a few seconds an then puff..it goes off!

2 Posts

September 24th, 2013 00:00

BTW. I have a Studio 17 in. laptop.  2010 Intel Core i3-330M 2.13 GHz. 500GB 7200 RPM  SATA.  It's 3 yrs old and I have an extended warranty. Guess I will be calling Dell in the am!

ajfrance

September 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi ajfrance,

You may try running the diagnostics following the steps provided in the above post.

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.
  • Remove the adapter and then the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.

After draining the residual power, try reseating the memory and see if the system is able to boot.

Please refer to the system manual for parts replacement and read the safety information that shipped with your computer.

The link is http://bit.ly/TLPARR.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

3 Posts

September 24th, 2013 21:00

It's an Inspiron 15 with i3 intel core with windows 8 but no touch screen. I have tried your suggestion 4 different times but it hasn't worked. Do you have any others?

September 25th, 2013 03:00

Hi Fried Mind,

I am still unable to verify the exact system model.

The issue could be related to the motherboard of the system and may need a replacement.

Also as you have mentioned in your initial post that the system was purchased on July 18, 2013, the system should be under warranty if it was purchased new.

You may check the warranty on your system and the exact system model by entering your service tag on the link below.

The link is http://dell.to/1eZmZmo.

Enter the service tag and go to ‘Warranty’ Tab, to check the current warranty status of your system.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

3 Posts

September 26th, 2013 22:00

It's an Inspiron 15 3521, I don't know if that helps or not. My laptop does have limited warranty because I did buy it new and I bought it off dell.com. Could I send it back to dell and get it replaced. The only thing I think I have a problem with is the power button. Is that something I would have to call dell and ask? I just want my laptop to work again. All the help you've given is really appreciated. 

September 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi Fried Mind,

The system return policy varies from region to region.

Please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's/Company's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) and I will check what best can be done.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

1 Message

February 21st, 2014 02:00

hie i have a dell inspiron15 3521 with O.S windows 8.the problem is i was traveling to school and i closed the computer to hibernate but when i arrived that was the end of it , its now refusing to start up i tried to press the power button for at least 2mins but nothing happened pliz help.

1 Message

March 28th, 2014 20:00

I bought my 15R laptop 3/29/2013. A few months later it wouldn't turn on after sometimes 50 or more attempts. It would try, but then shut down. Almost like trying to start a car that's out of gas. It was turning over, but no go. I never got around to doing anything about it until a few weeks ago. A Dell tech tried multiple ties to service it online, with-out success. Finally they gave in and sent me a box to return it to them for warranty service. It was just retuned to me after 2 weeks. They replaced free of charge under warranty the main mother board. My warranty is about to expire next week on 3/29. Just in time. Back up all your files because everything will be wiped out. Good luck!

Rob

1 Message

January 3rd, 2015 07:00

I have a dell inspiron 15 3531 that beeped when i turned it on. Now it wont start up again. Tried taking the batter out and now it doesn't register that the adapter is  in . What else can i do ive only had it a week

1 Message

April 8th, 2015 05:00

Don't know If this will help you or not. But my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15, the one that only has 1 light) once got the same issue. It happened when I'm angry because of a game and smashed hard into the laptop. The monitor then shows black bars. After that I restarted and what I get is 2 noises coming out of each speaker (with little volume) and the light blinked. What I tried to do is to remove the RAM and then place it back. Worked flawlessly.

1 Message

July 8th, 2015 09:00

My Dell Inspirion service tag [Personal Information Removed per policy]  won't turn on either.  I have tried holding down the power key as described above - also without battery.  I have tried 3 Dell power supplies.  Each time I plug one into the PC (with or without battery) the light on the power supply goes out.  I think there is a short in the power switch circuit.  I'm OK with taking my PC apart and swapping parts, but where do I start?

1 Message

July 22nd, 2015 23:00

Hey I know that this thread is pretty old but I just recently received a (used) Dell Inspiron 15 3537. I have had some problems with it... well one really. The main problem is that when I plug in the charging cord (not the one that came stock because it is missing, but still a dell one with the same specs) nothing happens. No lights come one, no power, I don't think the battery charges and nothing moves/makes noise. I did notice that when I plugged a flash-drive into the USB ports to see if it had any effect, it did light up the light on the USB... when I press power, same result - zilch happens... any help is welcome. ****IMPORTANT (probably)**** It does not have a hard drive... getting one soon hopefully if it is not toasted computer, but I would think it could boot off USB or at least BIOS from motherboard. I have tried the connect ac with power diagnostics and the resetting ram... but still nothing. PLZ HELP ME BRO!:emotion-42:

1 Message

July 27th, 2015 14:00

I'm having the same problem.  Would love to know the answer for this one!

No Events found!