Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2011 08:00

My Inspiron Mini 10 Netbook is really slow

My netbook running Windows XP Home edition is slow from startup to desktop. Then, when I click the start button, it takes 45 sec to get to the list of programs, and 45 sec to get to the submenus. I have McAfee anti-virus, and just ran Anti-Malware Bytes (which took 7 hours for a quick scan!), and CCleaner for the registry. Then I tried System Restore to a better time, but that didn't work either.

As it is under the 1 year hardware warranty, Dell support advised me to run a Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA) sequence, which was normal. Systems info showed 1 GB of RAM, and I increased the virtual memory on the HD to 3 GB, with slight improvement, but I'm unsure what to do next. Can there be defective RAM function that doesn't show up on the PSA or system info?

11 Posts

May 6th, 2011 10:00

I could not figure out how to reply to JohnFellow, but he asked if it was slow only on startup. No, it is throughout operation. I only used the start menu as an example, because I didn't want people to think it was due to cookies on my IE. Since this is a hardware forum, I only asked about checking RAM function, but I also posted a HijackThis log on the Dell software forum.

No Events found!