Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 22nd, 2013 21:00

My Laptop Makes Beep sound when I press power button and it wont Start

Hello,

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 15z touch ultrabook and when I pressed the Power on button, it starts making beeping sound and doesnt start. Screen is totally blank. What to do ? Please help

--- Mayur Gala

4.4K Posts

March 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi AlexStone,

First run the onboard hardware diagnostics(tap F12 on start up,select Diagnostics) to check if its a hardware issue

Post back error code/message if any.

Thank You

4.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 00:00

Hi neni o,

Welcome to the Community,

Beep sounds can be used as diagnostic indicator.The computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if there are errors or problems. This series of beeps identifies a problem and is called a beep code.

7 beeps indicates processor failure.Private message me your system Service Tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system details and get back to you with repair options.

Thank You

4.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2013 21:00

Hi Mayur,

Welcome to the Community,

Beep sounds can be used as diagnostic indicator.The computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if there are errors or problems. This series of beeps identifies a problem and is called a beep code.

Refer to this table below which illustrates the beep codes and the possible problem:

Beep Code Overview
Beeps Description Possible Cause
1 BIOS ROM checksum failure System board failure, covers BIOS corruption or ROM errors.
2 No Memory (RAM) detected Memory or Memory slot failure
  • Chipset Error (North and South bridge error
  • Time-Of-Day Clock test failure
  • Gate A20 failure
  • Super I/O chip failure
  • Keyboard controller failure
System board failure
4 Memory read / write failure Memory failure
5 Real Time Clock (RTC) power failure CMOS battery failure
6 Video BIOS Video card/chip failure
7 CPU failure Processor failure
8 LCD LCD failure

Also, check this video to understand more about your issue - no post:

Let me know if you need further help.

Thank You

(edited)

4.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 00:00

To help you with a solution we need to first identify the issue.

Please listen to the beeps carefully and confirm if you notice a pattern(or number of beeps system is emitting).

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 22:00

Beeps are continuous with small interval, suggest me solution.

4.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 01:00

If its 2 beeps it means the memory module(RAM)is not getting detected.

You may try removing and reseating the memory modules which is located on the bottom of the system.

For steps to remove and replace memory modules follow the steps given on page 13 on Owner's Manual.

To access Owner's Manual (Owner's Manual PDF)use this link: http://dell.to/X1sCKV

Note:If removing and reseating both memory module does not help,try booting system with one memory module installed and use the same memory module on both the slots.This will help to find out if its an issue with memory module or the connector slot.

Let me know how it goes.

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 01:00

2 beeps with small interval followed by big interval and then again 2 beeps with small interval. this goes on and on

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 20:00

It didnt work

9 Posts

March 24th, 2013 06:00

What if your laptop makes 2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 beeps everytime you start it up?

For example, I press the power button once, and there are 5 beeps and it cuts off. I press it again and there are 2 beeps. I press again and there are 7 beeps. It cuts off until I get lucky and the harddrive powers up.

4.4K Posts

March 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi AlexStone,

If the beeps are not consistent and if it keeps changing with each reboot then beeps codes may not help to identify the problem.In some system models beeps codes cannot be used as diagnostic indicator.

To check further please post your full system model  and the exact issue details.

Thank You

4.4K Posts

March 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi Mayur,

Did you try booting system with one memory module installed? Did  you try the same memory module on both the slots?Was there any change on the number of beeps when you tried starting system with one memory module?

Private message me your system Service Tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system details and get back to you with repair options.

Thank You

9 Posts

March 26th, 2013 13:00

I have a Dell Inspiron SE 7520 purchased from the UK.

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 15/11/2012

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name Home-PC\Home

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 5.88 GB

Available Physical Memory 3.35 GB

Total Virtual Memory 11.8 GB

Available Virtual Memory 8.22 GB

Page File Space 5.88 GB

When I start my computer, there is a sound like a fan, but then it beeps 'x' amount of times before cutting out. When I can finally get on, there is a sound as though it's reading a disc, which for me means it's working. However, I do get the blue screen from time to time with PFN Corrupt or Memory Management, or error codes 1a, 3b, 4e, 5f. My CD/DVD drive isn't working, so I can't use any discs.

It all started when I got occasional blue screens two days or so after purchase. I thought it was something I'd installed, but I could live with the blue screens. Things have got to the stage above now, and I'm worried I won't be able to get on it at all one day.

My Action Centre is full of critical events everyday, but my Dell Support Centre has started to pick these up. Apps keep crashing and so on.

This morning, the majority of beeps were 7, but there were a good few 2 and 5 beeps, with three 8 beeps.

9 Posts

March 27th, 2013 13:00

I ran the hardware diagnostics. Everything was fine except the CD/DVD section. The error codes are below:

Error Code: 2000-0147

Validation: 125515

Alex.

4.4K Posts

March 28th, 2013 01:00

Hi Alex,

The error code confirms there is an issue with the optical drive and most likely  it needs to be replaced.It could be an issue with the drive itself or an issue with the cable/connector port on the system board.

Please private message me your system Service tag number,along with your full name,address and phone number.I will check your system details and make arrangements to get the system serviced.

To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

Thank You

1 Message

May 2nd, 2013 14:00

Hello, my Dell Inspiron makes 7 beeping sounds, continuously and doesn't come on.Please how can I fix this?
No Events found!