Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 22nd, 2013 21:00

My Laptop Makes Beep sound when I press power button and it wont Start

Hello,

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 15z touch ultrabook and when I pressed the Power on button, it starts making beeping sound and doesnt start. Screen is totally blank. What to do ? Please help

--- Mayur Gala

4 Posts

September 20th, 2013 23:00

I bought my Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 a year ago. Everything was working fine for those time. About 3 weeks ago, my laptop started acting weird.
It starts making 4 beeps sounds when I pressed the power on button. It goes on n on for few seconds n my laptop shuts down by itself. After few seconds later, it turns on by itself n starts making 4 beeps sound again. My laptop's screen was totally blank. I didn't do anything but just charged all day long in the next day. But my battery light was not on... I just didn't know why. My laptop became normal. Everything was working fine....it's like it repairs by itself.... Well, I thought there's nothing wrong with my laptop anymore. But... About 3 days ago, my laptop started that problem again.. I thought that everything is going to be fine after few days later, just like before. For this time, I'm not that lucky anymore... My laptop is still having that problem. I have tried everything n every way I can. Battery light on my laptop is not on anymore. My screen is totally blank. I can't even turn my laptop on. It starts 4 beeps sound when I pressed the power on button.... How weird is that?! I've never dropped my laptop... Not even once.

1.5K Posts

September 21st, 2013 06:00

Hi Joyce1020,

4 beeps generally indicate Memory Read/Write Failure. You may try reseating the RAM. Take out all the memory modules, then connect one at a time, restart the system to check if the issue is with a particular memory or the memory slot on the system board. For system Service Manual, you may refer to the link: http://bit.ly/ZysMdy.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further assistance.

2 Posts

September 29th, 2013 09:00

Hey Roshan,

I'm getting three beeps... what would be my best course of action now?

2K Posts

September 30th, 2013 09:00

Hi kansashq,

I will be glad to help you. The 3 beeps on a laptop indicate a system board failure. However, I would suggest you to try following the below steps which might help:

(1)   Turn off the computer.

(2)   Remove all the external peripherals like AC Adaptor, battery, flash drives, etc.

(3)   Press and hold the power button for 30sec which releases the static on the computer (if any).

(4)   Put back the battery and plug in the AC Adaptor.

(5)   Let the computer charge for some time.

(6)   Try turning on the computer.

If the same issue continues then you may use the below link and check warranty status:

http://dell.to/193rSG3

If the computer is out of warranty you may contact the out of warranty repairs team on 18002884410 (U.S only). They can help you further.

If the computer is in warranty do send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and see what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a message

2 Posts

October 1st, 2013 10:00

Hi Roshan, yesterday I spoke to dell tech support re: external audio device not working sometimes; later (even before they could ship a new audio h/w)  it started working but now a new problem: i get weird unwanted sounds continually even when i am not on any audio file. mine is 5521 inspiron windows8; any solution? thanks

1.5K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 00:00

Hi vnambi49,

Try running diagnostics to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.
  • You may also refer to the video on the link http://dell.to/17DCL0R for more information.

Also, try updating the Audio Drivers by performing clean installation. Here are the steps:

• Press the key combination of 'Windows Logo' key + 'R' key to open 'Run' dialog box.
  • Type in 'devmgmt.msc' and click 'OK'.
  • The 'Device Manager' windows will appear.
  • Under 'Sound, video and games controllers', you will find the audio driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on 'uninstall'.
  • Check the box to delete the software.
  • Click on the link http://dell.to/18NqyqY
  • Download and install the drivers following the onscreen instructions.
  • Restart the system and check functionality.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 16:00

Hello, my dell cpu is giving seven beeps and not getting started .What should i do?

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 17:00

That did the trick.  I did reset the power cord insert by touching a wire to both the exterior and the pin in the inside (unplugged, of course) before doing so.  Thank you so much!

1.5K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 21:00

Hi Revanth_k,

Please share the exact system model. Also, try releasing the residual charge from the system. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer including the battery and AC Adapter.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter. Try to restart the computer and check.

Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist you.

October 5th, 2013 07:00

mysystemmakes8beeps 

2K Posts

October 6th, 2013 06:00

Hi godknowsme,

I will be glad to help you. The 8 beeps on a laptop indicate a LCD screen/ a LCD cable failure. However, I would suggest you to try following the below steps which might help:

(1)   Turn off the computer.

(2)   Remove all the external peripherals like AC Adaptor, battery, flash drives, etc.

(3)   Press and hold the power button for 30sec which releases the static on the computer (if any).

(4)   Put back the battery and plug in the AC Adaptor.

(5)   Let the computer charge for some time.

(6)   Try turning on the computer.

You may also try using a known good external monitor (if available) and check if it helps.

Do reply with your answers.

October 6th, 2013 08:00

Dear kiran there is no response for this.. before this process I backup all my data's, then i  restart system it works fine. after it goes back blank &  8 beeps.

2K Posts

October 7th, 2013 07:00

Hi godknowsme,

As I advised in my previous response this could be an issue with the LCD screen/ LCD cable. Request you to try using an external monitor and check if it works on it. If yes, then the screen has failed. If no, then the LCD cable has failed.

You may want to use the below link and check warranty status:

http://dell.to/193rSG3

If the computer is out of warranty you may contact the out of warranty repairs team on 18002884410 (U.S only). They can check and help you further.

If the computer is in warranty then do send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and see what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select send message.

1 Message

October 11th, 2013 19:00

my lap makes 5 beats betwn intervalz ,,, so whta may be the problem !!!1

1.5K Posts

October 11th, 2013 21:00

Hi jinz64,

Five beeps error code indicates motherboard failure in most of the systems. Please share the exact system model with me so that I can assist you further in isolating the issue and fix it.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!