Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2015 01:00

My XPS-13 9350 Cannot Sleep

After updating my XPS-13 to newest windows 10, each time I close its screen or push power button or click "Sleep" in Start->Power menu, it will go black for a little while and then wake up immediately.

In windows Event Viewer, I saw this error message every time above thing happens:

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.1.10602.174) TYPE: ERROR

DPTF Build Version: 8.1.10602.174

In details tab, it says:

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework
ESIF(8.1.10602.174) TYPE: ERROR DPTF Build Version: 8.1.10602.174 DPTF Build Date: Jul 23 2015 11:24:10 Source File: ..\..\..\..\Sources\Policies\ConfigTdpPolicy\ConfigTdpPolicy.cpp @ line 322 Executing Function: ConfigTdpPolicy::synchronizeConfigTdpPlatformSettings Message: cTDP control not found in set. Policy: ConfigTDP Policy [1]  

please help

2 Posts

April 21st, 2016 07:00

That will be great "if" it gets fixed. For now turning off hibernation seems to have gotten rid of the problem. I still the error codes in the windows event log but it doesn't prevent the laptop from sleeping or shutting down.

January 30th, 2016 20:00

My XPS 13 (9350) also suffered from this problem, the laptop will wake up automatically from sleep even the lid is closed.

Also, I restored everything to factory default, and let the laptop run after fully charged, 0% screen light, turn off wifi and bluetooth, turn off the sound, it only can last for 7 hours (no programs opened, just have desktop running), it has a huge difference from what Dell claims for this laptop (17 hours?)

From the event log, i see this error popping up frequently (every 2 minutes):

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.1.10605.221) TYPE: ERROR

DPTF Build Version:  8.1.10605.221
DPTF Build Date:  Oct 23 2015 12:24:15
Source File:  ..\..\..\..\Sources\Policies\ConfigTdpPolicy\ConfigTdpPolicy.cpp @ line 281
Executing Function:  ConfigTdpPolicy::onOperatingSystemConfigTdpLevelChanged
Participant:  TCPU [2]
Domain:  PKG [0]
Policy:  ConfigTDP Policy [1]

Please help.

Michael

February 4th, 2016 08:00

Is there any update on this issue? My laptop can only be a desktop because I cannot close the lid and bring it out, it cannot sleep and the back side of the laptop become very hot when i place that in bag.

Every time when I click the sleep button or close the lid, it will wake up after 2-3 seconds, when i check the event log, the following errors were shown:

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.1.10605.221) TYPE: ERROR

Source File:  ..\..\..\..\Sources\Policies\ConfigTdpPolicy\ConfigTdpPolicy.cpp @ line 144
Executing Function:  ConfigTdpPolicy::onBindDomain
Participant:  TCPU [3]
Domain:  PKG [0]

Source File:  ..\..\..\..\Sources\Policies\ConfigTdpPolicy\ConfigTdpPolicy.cpp @ line 322
Executing Function:  ConfigTdpPolicy::synchronizeConfigTdpPlatformSettings

this issue really affected me a lots, but still no response / workaround from Dell. Can anyone from Dell please help? Thank.

Michael

4 Posts

February 4th, 2016 12:00

I too have had this issue since before mid-December.  Absolutely maddening that a $2400 laptop can't sleep.  Even when I go to shut it down, it literally wakes itself from being (allegedly) powered off.  This already resulted in it frying its logic board in my bag once.

1.1.9 didn't fix it, here's to hoping 1.2.3 does something.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2016 04:00

This is seriously terrible for a $2350 laptop.  I've resorted to using a Chromebook just because I can't deal with the fact there's a 70% chance my laptop will be overheated and dead if I try to tote it to a meeting.

Can we get some serious engineering talent on this?  This issue has been around since at least November.  My old 9343 with an i5 in it sold me on getting a 9350, but I'm filled primarily with regret.

February 8th, 2016 04:00

I have upgraded the BIOS to 1.2.3 three days ago, the XPS 13 can sleep just after update, but since today, the laptop suddenly wake up automatically when it's in by bag, when I need to attend a conference.

Luckily the battery still have 30% when I felt by back was warm. (yes, the laptop was heated up and I can feel the temperature even it's inside my backpack).

So I can confirm you the the issue still exist, event after the update.

Michael

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 00:00

I contacted dell support, and after working on my laptop by just installing the dptf drivers I probably already had, they said they need to reset my pc, which would steal so much of my time for reconfiguration. Very upset.

3 Posts

March 6th, 2016 18:00

I don't blame you.  Mine restarts intermittently.  It just started going thru the restart phase again.  I may also have to reboot again to start the Bluetooth.  I have bought all Dell computers for the office and this is the first problem of any kind but it makes me think about future Dell purchases.  Very frustrating.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2016 09:00

I still check support.dell.com for drivers every few days like a kid on Christmas morning hoping for a new BIOS rev.  Is this Skylake's fault?  I've seen articles saying a similar issue was just resolved on the Surface Book - when do we get our turn?

1 Message

March 8th, 2016 11:00

I am having the very exact issue. It's outrageous, it literally renders my laptop useless. It is not a laptop when you have to plug this *** in the outlet all the time. 

1 Message

March 15th, 2016 12:00

I too have been finding my XPS 13 9350 burning hot on the bottom, fan whirring, battery drained, after allegedly going to sleep. My event log is also rife with DPTF error 256. Intel points the finger at you Dell. And from what I've read, this issue is nowhere near new. Some answers and a fix would be nice. And no, I will not be calling your tech support to be run through the gauntlet of driver reinstalls, disabling key features, refreshing the OS, full clean reinstall, and shipping the system in for service only to have a now refurbished AND malfunctioning system returned to me. Fix your drivers Dell.

4 Posts

March 15th, 2016 15:00

I sent this thread to Dell just now during an interview, and she said that she sent it to her manager and dell engineering, and she will get back to me when they suggest that engineering take a look at this! Not sure if this has been done before, but this might be the solution guys!

4 Posts

March 18th, 2016 16:00

Got this response:

Rep ID 262200 Pearl (23:08:41):
regarding the driver, we will be involving the engineering team as well.

1 Message

March 18th, 2016 20:00

i have been having this issue since two weeks ago. 

the laptop doesnt sleep when i close the lid.

also there's buzzing sound under the keyboard when i scroll on the touchpad.

4 Posts

March 19th, 2016 06:00

I really hope someone is taking a good look at this.  Walking into meetings with a hot, dead laptop is seriously a great way to ruin brand loyalty.  I came from a Surface 3 that used to do this thinking 'things will be better,' and Dell is basically just saying 'we engineered it once, don't ask us to look at it again.'

Get your ish together, guys.

No Events found!