Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

33 Posts

August 16th, 2006 21:00

My battery was recalled. Should I remove it from my laptop?

My battery was one of the ones I recalled, but the site said it could take months for my replacement battery to arrive. What should I do in the meantime?
What conditions cause the flaw to manifest (charging, just sitting there, etc)?

Edit: I called the Dell battery hotline and was told to remove the battery from my laptop. This leaves a few questions though. What should I do with said battery? Should I drain it first? How should I store something that has the potential to burst into flames by itself.

Also what do I do about the now gaping hole in the bottom of my Inspiron 9300 with exposed wires for charging?

Message Edited by Morac on 08-16-200607:02 PM

2.5K Posts

August 16th, 2006 23:00

Best if you don't poke anything at the battery connectors, visible now that the battery has been removed - there isn't much you can do except to wait for the new battery to arrive.

33 Posts

August 16th, 2006 23:00

Well I decided to put a magazine or newspaper (basically something flat and stiff) under my laptop while using it. Hopefully I won't accidently bend the charging connector while in the weeks in takes to get the new battery. My recalled battery never really got that hot (I could use it with shorts on), so I hope the new one doesn't either.

It would be ironic to short out if a number of people accidently shorted those wires out causing the laptop to burst into flames because they were told to take out the battery which could burst into flames.

I wonder if they sell battery bay covers (with no battery)?

Message Edited by Morac on 08-16-200608:42 PM

2.5K Posts

August 17th, 2006 01:00

Be careful if you do put paper underneath the notebook - it's also quite flammable.  If the 9300 internals are the identical to a 6000, the battery is close to the hard drive and some hard drives run at over 120°F (50°C) and above when busy.

238 Posts

August 18th, 2006 22:00

Consider removing it. From what I read, the problem is rare, but it can fail without warning and cause fire or possible explosion. (Battery shorts internally.)

Message Edited by enigma-2 on 08-18-200606:10 PM

33 Posts

August 18th, 2006 22:00

I ended up removing it and placing a piece of cardboard over the empty bay on the bottom.

I'm wondering if I should put the battery in my laptop and let it drain down first. From my understanding of the problem, the battery doesn't even need to be in the laptop to short out. It shorts out internally, which causes it to heat up and potentially catch fire. So I basically have to wait around 20 days with a potential fire hazzard sitting in my house.

If it was drained this wouldn't happen.

I also hope Dell sends me the correct battery since I got the upgraded 80 watt one.

Message Edited by Morac on 08-18-200607:18 PM

2.5K Posts

August 20th, 2006 01:00

You can try draining it, but one can never deplete the charge completely simply by running the notebook.

9 Posts

August 20th, 2006 18:00

Remove the battery from your system completely to prevent any issues that could arise from the defective battery. You can run on AC Adapter only. But,. call Dell to have a replacement sent. They will need the serial number from the battery to ensure it is on the list before they replace it.

Dell will replace the battery with the same specs as the one you are calling on the battery recall, they verify the part with the serial number you provide.

Message Edited by gurlivy on 08-20-200602:41 PM

No Events found!