Highlighted

My external subwoofer is not working with my new Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series, please help!

So I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series laptop and was super stoked.

Then I got home and noticed it has a lot of audio problems.  

When I plug in my external speakers I get a sharp, loud, startling crackling noise when I sometimes change windows.

More importantly, my external speakers are not working with this Dell.   The subwoofer has NO SOUND coming out at all.  The non-subwoofer speakers seem to work fine.

I tried downloading both audio drivers that were mentioned by the verifed answer in the thread here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19652386 but I get this error message each time:

Some one please help!  I spent too much on this Dell to get this problem.  Every laptop I've boughten has worked perfectly out of the box except this Dell.   

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

RE: My external subwoofer is not working with my new Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series, please help!

I tried downloading both audio drivers that were mentioned by the verifed answer in the thread here 

Hello. The Inspiron 17R SE 7720 is a much older model than yours, and it has different audio hardware on the motherboard, which is why its audio driver will not install on your computer.

I can give you a link to your audio driver but I would need to know the model of your laptop. The models that Dell has marketed under the generic name of Inspiron 17 7000 series are: Inspiron 7737, 7746, and 7778.

It also depends on which operating system is on the laptop. For example, if you have an Inspiron 7778 with Win10 64-bit, then the latest audio driver is this Realtek 6.0.1.7908 that was just released on Sept 5. But that driver is not meant for the other 7000 series models.

The subwoofer has NO SOUND coming out at all.

I don't have any suggestions about that. In a 2.1 speaker system, the subwoofer is controlled by the cross-over in the speaker system's amp. I can't think of how the laptop would have anything to do with that, as the woofer is not connected to the laptop.

Something you can do is to compare the performance of the Realtek audio driver with that of the Windows native audio driver. Do this to switch between drivers.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos

RE: My external subwoofer is not working with my new Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series, please help!

Hi jimco.   I appreciate the quick response!  Ahh that makes sense why the audio drivers I tried downloading didn't work for my laptop.

My Dell laptop is an Inspiron 17 7778 2-in-1 with Windows 10 64-bit.  Do you need my laptop's service tag?

I will try downloading the Realtek 6.0.1.7908 audio driver you mentioned since I do have a 7778 with Win10 64bit and get back to you with the results and status of my laptop audio and subwoofer status.

0 Kudos