Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2014 09:00

My laptop's mouse buttons don't work

I have had to start using the touchpad to click but neither the left or right button of the internal mouse work. I cant right click on the touchpad to and can only tap to click something and it's really annoying. I'm sure there isn't anything underneath it and I've had it for a while so it might just be age. Please help.

July 16th, 2014 01:00

Hi JJJohnnn,

Welcome to Dell community.

I would suggest you to install the touchpad driver. Please share the exact system model you are using. 

To download the drivers, you may refer to the link: http://dell.to/1iNsJmq  

On the link, enter the system Service Tag and click on ‘Continue’. Select your operating system and it will display a list of available downloads. Click ‘Mouse, Keyboard and Input Devices’ and click ‘Download’. Download and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further assistance.

2 Posts

July 16th, 2014 15:00

Hi JJJohnnn,

Welcome to Dell community.

I would suggest you to install the touchpad driver. Please share the exact system model you are using. 

To download the drivers, you may refer to the link: http://dell.to/1iNsJmq  

On the link, enter the system Service Tag and click on ‘Continue’. Select your operating system and it will display a list of available downloads. Click ‘Mouse, Keyboard and Input Devices’ and click ‘Download’. Download and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further assistance.

Hi, I downloaded this driver http://prntscr.com/43dsh9 two times and neither time it worked (I had to a second time as my laptop was playing up). My system model is Inspiron n5050.

July 16th, 2014 22:00

Hi JJJohnnn,

I understand that you have tried the above steps, please help me understand the issue. I will research for more options to work on this.

1. Have you updated the BIOS?

2. Was the operating system installed/re-installed for the same issue?

4. Did you run diagnostics on the touchpad and if so please provide the error?

Please share the operating system installed.

Please check if the touchpad buttons are loose sticky or broken.

You may also check if the touchpad buttons are disabled from the touchpad settings. Double click on touchpad icon in notification area --> Click on 'Device Select' --> Check if the touchpad buttons are disabled. Enable if disabled --> Save settings.

If the issue still persists, you can try a system restore and restore it to the date prior this issue occurred. All the data on computer will be safe but the applications that you have installed after that restore point, you might need to re-install it. 

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore --> Click it. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer. 

Please share the findings. 

No Events found!