Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2013 00:00

My new Inspiron 15 3521 laptop keys not working at all

Hi,

I bought my dell inspiron 15 3521 laptop 4 months back.Now the laptop keys stopped working and i came into a situation where i need to use on-screen keyboard all the time.It suddenly stopped working from yesterday.I dont know what is the issue.Please let me know how it can be fixed. The keys not working at all are : 1 2 3 4 6 9 and windows key as it is a windows 8 version and if windows key deosnt work everything is at halt. Please provide a feasible solution to it so that i will try to fix it at my end.

Thanks,

Vijaya Kumar Nelluri

1.3K Posts

September 30th, 2013 09:00

Hi Vijaya,

We understand how frustrating that can be. Since nearly all the digits have stopped working, please check if the NumLock key is disabled. Is the NumLock indicator light on or off?

Also, click on the links below to troubleshoot and resolve the issue you are facing with the keypad on your Inspiron 15 3521.

Mouse, Keyboard or Touchpad Not Working Correctly: http://dell.to/1dS6Xck

360 Degree Troubleshooting Guide for Inspiron 15(3521): http://dell.to/1dS6ZB2

Please keep us posted with the results so that we may assist you further, if required.

Thanks and regards.

Babita S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads,
Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

October 1st, 2013 11:00

Hi,
I tried troubleshooting as per the links provided,but no use.
I ran the dell diagnostic test on my laptop and got "Generic Windows IO error" as error message.
Please let me know the solution for this error message if it can cause my keyboard keys not working
Thanks,
Vijaya Kumar Nelluri

1.3K Posts

October 1st, 2013 12:00

Hi Vijaya,

Thank you for your reply. We are sorry to learn that the issue remains unresolved.

Since the issue is with the number keys, please turn the Num Lock light on and press the keys on the keypad. Then, press and hold the key, while holding the key, press the keys on the keypad. Do the keys work fine when the key is pressed?  After this step, update the System BIOS on your computer by clicking on the link mentioned below.

Update the BIOS on your Dell Inspiron 3521: http://dell.to/1fGlH2l
Click on this Youtube link for a video on how to update your Dell PC's BIOS in 99 Seconds: http://dell.to/1fGmlNu

Follow instructions mentioned below prior to the BIOS update.

• Ensure that the AC Adapter is connected to the computer prior to the BIOS update.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
  • Remove any cd/dvd from the optical drive prior to the BIOS update.
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 10% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to replace the BIOS chip or motherboard.

Updating the BIOS should resolve the issue. Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks and regards.

Babita S
#iworkfordell
Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

October 1st, 2013 14:00

Hi Babita,

The keyboard keys are not working with fn key and even after updating BIOS.I had BIOS version A05 on my laptop and now i have updated to A09,but still the keys are not working.

Could you please suggest me what can be done in this case.

Thanks,

Vijaya Kumar Nelluri

1.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Vijaya,

Thank you for updating the BIOS as requested. Unfortunately, it seems to have not resolved the issue with the keypad.

Please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

You can click on the Youtube link below on how to locate the Dell service tag in case required.

What is a Dell Service Tag and How Do I Find It?: http://dell.to/16GpLfp

Kindly reply at the earliest for further assistance.

Thanks and regards.

Babita S
#iworkfordell

1 Message

October 25th, 2013 15:00

I bought this lappy four days ago and even I have the same problem as Vijaya had.

Regards,

Ashish Tripathi

December 4th, 2016 23:00

BIOS LOCKED ?

No Events found!