Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2012 13:00

N5010: Battery LED button flashing white

I hope someone can help me out with this.  I recently replaced a motherboard in a Dell N5010 15R laptop.  After installation laptop won't start.  Pressing power button and button lights up for instant and battery power button flashes.  Battery button also flashes every 5 seconds or so.  Initially I figured I got a bad board. Got second board same problem.  Laptop started up before the repair.  Next thought that IO board may have gone bad.  Replaced that board with new one and same symptoms. Could a faulty power button cause this?  I have replaced many motherboards in laptops and never had this problem.  I even tried to start the laptop with all cables but power button cable disconnected from motherboard hoping if it was a short in a component I would at least get it to start and hear some beeps.  Nothing.  I connected and reconnected all cables many times and inspected them for breakage.  Can't see any damage.  Power button cable does have a 90 degree crease in it.  Not sure if breakage in this would cause this problem.  Thanks. 

September 12th, 2012 16:00

Might be a good idea to check that the processor was locked in place. LMAO.  You would think I was a rookie making that kind of error.  Well this is resolved.  Thanks for the help.

September 11th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Thanks so much for the detailed description of the issue. I hope you must have tried turning on the system with the battery out and connecting it with the AC adapter only.

Also, would recommend you to reseat the RAM cards and check whether if any of the cards are creating this issue.

Meanwhile, if you can send a picture of the crease in the power button cable and also would request you for the system Service Tag in a private message so that I can check the system details.

I am sending you a private message, please click on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide the details and contact information so I may access to your system records.

Please reply to my private message.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

September 11th, 2012 07:00

Thank you for the response.  Yes I did reseat the RAM tried powering on with and without the battery and with and without one or 2 RAM modules.  I tried starting the PC with nothing but the power button attached and no other external cards attached.  Same symptoms.  I will get a picture of the crease in the ribbon cable shortly.  Just to note the system will not even attempt to boot.  Pressing the power button produces one flash of white LED on power button and left LED indicator on front of system.  Also, left white LED flashes once every 5 seconds continually.  

September 14th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Great to know that its working.

Please reply for further queries.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!